Login Register

Five-star Stanley keep narrow lead at the top

By The Citizen  |  Posted: February 19, 2013

Comments (0)

KING'S Stanley retained their narrow lead at the top of the Gloucestershire County League after a 5-0 thumping of bottom club Berkeley Town.

But the men from Marling Close have Tuffley Rovers breathing down their necks in second, after the Glevum Park outfit recorded a 2-0 win at Kingswood.

Tuffley are now one point behind Stanley at the top of the table, but with three games in hand.

Returning to action after a break due to cup commitments, Tuffley dominated at Kingswood before taking the lead just before the break as Richard James turned home Marcus Foxwell's cross.

Tuffley made the game safe as James tapped home his second after Fox had saved an initial effort.

Kingswood's best chance came late in the game, but Chris Perks somehow managed to turn Simon Clark's long-range shot over the bar.

King's Stanley made light work of basement boys Berkeley Town at the Nuclear Power Station ground, despite being held for the first half-hour.

But after Jake Davis netted the first of his hat-trick, the goals started to flow. Ben Newman grabbed the second from the spot and Danny Chandler added a third five minutes after the break, before Davis completed the rout with goals in the 70th and 89th minute.

The most exciting game of the day came at Sawmills End where Longlevens edged a five-goal thriller with Ellwood.

Brad Martin gave Longlevens an early lead and the hosts almost added a second just before the break.

Five minutes after the break Ellwood drew level through Lee Scotford but O'Connor re-established Longlevens' lead with a neat finish and substitute Adam Hughes added a third goal with a long-range shot seven minutes from time.

Ellwood continued to battle however, and Daryl Addis netted a late consolation goal in added time.

High-flying Southmead CS Athletic proved to be too strong for Bishop's Cleeve Reserves at Kayte Lane as they eased to a 3-1 victory.

Terry Caswell gave the visitors the lead on the half-hour mark, shooting home from the edge of the penalty area and Rob Sivers tapped home a second five minutes later.

Will Pugh headed Cleeve back into the game five minutes before the break, but a calamitous own goal ensured that the visitors claimed the spoils.

Cleeve defender Ben Robinson attempted to send a long-range back-pass to goalkeeper Dan Greenhous but succeeded in lobbing the ball into the net from fully 35 yards.

There was also an own goal at the Nailsworth Primary School ground where Taverners lost out by the odd goal in three to Patchway Town.

Matt Tovey put the visitors in front with a header and Mark Palmer extended the advantage before Patchway keeper Martin Alford was guilty of punching the ball into his own net, much to his embarrassment.

Try as they did to get back into the game, relegation threatened Tavs were unable to respond and Patchway eased home to a deserved victory.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters