Login Register

It's Merthyr most horrid for Wood

By The Citizen  |  Posted: November 12, 2012

Comments (0)

Shortwood United 1

Merthyr Town 1

SHORTWOOD United will head to Pennydarren Park tomorrow for a FA Trophy third qualifying round replay, after Merthyr Town claimed a last-gasp draw at Meadowbank.

Wood were leading 1-0 thanks to a Kevin Slack goal until the final three minutes of Saturday's tie, before Luke Prosser's late goal secured a draw for the Martyrs.

Wood started the game brightly, but right from the first whistle Martyrs winger Ian Traylor was showing his threat.

With only seven minutes on the clock, Joey Tustain's through ball split the visiting defence and Slack raced through but he delayed his shot and Matthew Harris got back to tackle.

However, four minutes later, Slack made no mistake after being put through by Tim Haddock's pass and the former Bishop's Cleeve man scored with a trademark powerful finish.

It was almost 2-0 a minute later when Tustain hit a powerful shot that took a slight deflection and Town keeper Giles Cutlan did well to parry it.

Merthyr had a good chance to level when Jason Welsh headed a corner goalwards and Harris, sliding in, shot wide.

The home defence looked generally comfortable as Merthyr started to gain confidence and play the ball around and it was Jake Parrott who came close before the break when his shot was deflected inches over the bar.

Cutlan dived bravely at the feet of Slack early in the second half but Merthyr started to push Wood further and further back and the pressure grew.

Shortwood became more reliant on break aways and set pieces and from a Parrott free kick Cutlan did well to claw the ball off the head of Haddock as he seemed set to head the ball home.

Alton Axton made a great clearance from a Traylor cross before Traylor shanked the ball wide from six yards.

Merthyr made a triple substitution after 65 minutes and one of the substitutes Prosser shot wide from a great position.

Still Wood looked dangerous on the break and Langworthy fired an effort wide and Parrott had a shot blocked.

Finally, after 87 minutes, Merthyr broke at speed and when the ball found Prosser 20 yards out he lashed a great rising shot past Tom King to take the tie back to Merthyr.

Shortwood: King, Coates, Axton, Pritchett, Thomas, Baldwin, Tustain (Brown 82), Parrott, Slack (Langworthy 59), Cornwall (Cant 70), Haddock

Attendance: 130

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters