Login Register
 °

No power for a week for Gloucester man after leak in neighbour's flat

By The Citizen  |  Posted: January 13, 2014

Comments (0)

TENANT Colin Meadows has been without power, heating and hot water for nearly a week.

A major leak at one of the flats above his in Russell Street, Gloucester, meant electricity in part of the block had to be cut off amid safety fears last Tuesday night.

And, six days later, it still has not been restored.

The 64-year-old has seen all the food in his fridgefreezer go off and, as there is no gas there, has been unable to get hot water or heating while temperatures have been on the decline.

He is a Guinness Hermitage tenant and has been forced to stay at his sister’s nearby whenever possible and believes at least two other tenants are in the same boat as him.

“Basically, upstairs had a leak and the fire brigade had to come out,” he said.

“They turned the electricity off and took the main fuse out because it wasn’t safe.

“I think it’s my flat and the two above me that have been cut off. The water was from the very top flat.

“I’ve been living with my sister ever since but that’s not ideal.

“It’s very frustrating and I would just like them to get on with it.”

Colin, who has only been living there since November, said a surveyor had been out to the flats last week but could not give an estimate on when it would be fixed.

A spokesman for the fire and rescue service said they were called at about 9.45pm last Tuesday by someone concerned that leaking water was coming into their property.

They isolated the water and the electricity, she confirmed.

A Guinness Hermitage spokesman said contractors were on the case and that, hopefully, Colin can return to his flat tomorrow.

However, safety assessments still have to be carried out.

“We are aware of Mr Meadows’ situation and we are working to restore the power to his flat in Russell Street,” she said.

“Our contractors attended the flat immediately following a leak on Tuesday January 7 in the block where he lives.

“The contractors made the property safe by turning the power off, which has unfortunately had to remain off for health and safety reasons while the property dries out.

“We will be carrying out an assessment as to whether it is safe to restore the power to the flat and for Mr Meadows to return tomorrow.

“In the event that it is not safe, we will be continuing to ensure that Mr Meadows has suitable alternative accommodation while his home undergoes the necessary repairs.”

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES