Login Register

Ten-man Swans keep leaders in their sights

By The Citizen  |  Posted: November 20, 2012

Comments (0)

Flackwell Heath 0

Slimbridge 3

THE Swans returned from one of their longest trips of the season with a thoroughly deserved three points after a classy performance, marred only by the dismissal of Will Wellon in the second half.

Dan Holloway's penalty following a foul on Marvyn Roberts put the visitors ahead, and Roberts himself added a second just before the break.

Tom Speers' stoppage-time third sealed the victory, which maintained Slimbridge's second spot in the Uhlsport Hellenic Premier League behind leaders Marlow.

The Swans made a good start to the game and nearly scored in the first minute.

Shane Anson's long throw was flicked on by Roberts and Saul Williams beat Flackwell keeper Sam Southerden to the ball and knocked it goalwards, but Williams was penalised for a foul.

The first goal came on 26 minutes when Roberts turned John Isaac in the Flackwell box and was floored by a late tackle. Holloway drilled the penalty home to give Slimbridge a deserved lead.

Williams had an opportunity to double the lead on 31 minutes when he was sent clear on goal, but good defensive pressure saw his shot go wide of the right-hand post and the difference remained a single goal.

Two minutes before half-time Slimbridge got the second goal that their play deserved. Another lovely passing move down the left flank involving Dominique Njoya and Williams saw the latter's cross reach Roberts on the far post, and his header squeezed between Southerden and the angle of the post and bar.

Two minutes into the second period the strength of Roberts nearly brought a third goal, as he held up play superbly before setting up Holloway who was unlucky to see his effort hit the bar.

Both sides were reduced to ten men on 55 minutes. Lewis Cordice tangled with Wellon in the Slimbridge box but Wellon held firm and the ball was cleared.

Cordice then reacted to the challenge and had to be pulled away from Wellon by Swans keeper Dave Evans. Play continued in midfield, and eventually the referee's attention was drawn to the altercation.

Cordice was shown a red card along with Wellon.

The Swans got the third goal their play deserved three minutes into stoppage time when Freddy Ward's corner was met by the head of Speers.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters