Login Register

Discussion

“pot holes are worse than ever on Gloucestershire roads, ACTION IS REQUIRED NOW!!!”

By cushtymann Posted: February 02, 2013

5 comments

5 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • cushtymann  |  February 02 2013, 11:19AM

if you drive from Gloucester to ledbury, beware this road is riddled with big potholes. when I drive ,I am continually driving from side to side to avoid these holes. anyone on a motorcycle at night is at great risk of crashing or worse. WHEN IS THIS ROAD GOING TO BE REPAIRED? I DONT BELEIVE THE REPAIR GANGS ARE OUT DOING THE WORK, WHERE????

• djrose_mx5  |  February 15 2013, 11:41AM

They are all over the place Cushtymann. I was driving to a meeting of the Jet Age Museum on Wednesday evening and just about 20/30 yards from the entrance to Brockworth Court I hit a huge pothole. Yet to have my car assessed to see if it has damaged the suspension, drop link etc.

• Matt1006  |  February 18 2013, 12:53PM

Not just Gloucestershire. I traveled to near Hay-on-Wye last week. A49 between Ross & Hereford OK, but as soon as I turned off onto the B roads, the difference was noticeable within a few hundred yards. Potholes galore, plus plenty of standing water, which is best avoided if at all possible as you can't see what holes might be lurking beneath the muddy water... OK, there are priorities when it comes to maintaining the roads, so A class roads are higher priority than the B class roads, but there are many rural roads in a dire state of disrepair, and it is clear that the repair regimes being used (both in Gloucestershire, and Herefordshire - and in other counties too) are simply not good enough. Problem is the County Councils will all be claiming they are doing all they can with the funds available, so I guess the simple answer is if we want more highways maintenance, we're going to have to pay for it through additional Council Tax contributions to the County Council. BUT, there is a fair amount of waste, either through quick shoddy repairs which disintegrate after a few days, plus work gangs filling in one hole and then returning to the same spot a few days later to fill different holes. A bit of better planning would be a start. And sealing around fresh tarmac patches, to stop water getting in and blowing the patches again the next time it freezes.

• FreeRadical1  |  February 20 2013, 12:48PM

I keep reporting loads of pot-holes in Hyde Lane, but no sooner have they been repaired than more appear. Most of the pot-holes that I report DO get repaired, though. I think that the problem has been the very wet weather undermining the road surfaces.

• FreeRadical1  |  February 22 2013, 5:02PM

Cushtymann, have you actually reported these pot-holes? The email address is highways@gloucestershire.gov.uk . You need to get a reply and then wait for at least a week before following up to ask why they haven't been seen to. Most pot-holes that I have reported in Gloucester and Cheltenham have been dealt with in between one and two weeks. They did miss one, and I complained, and it was filled in within a few days.

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!