Login Register

Discussion

“Seeking info and pictures of Barnes Garage,Longsmith street,Gloucester.
It was a Rover Garage 1940s to 1970s.”

By jase77 Posted: February 22, 2013

6 comments

6 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • lindenengine  |  February 25 2013, 4:31AM

jase77 Greetings. I recall going to Gloucester Tech College with an apprentice from Barnes Garage in 1964. We were studying MV basic mechanics courses then. I was an apprentice at Watts Factors on Mercia Road opposite the cattle market. Of course it was a new stock market in '64 having moved from where the bus centre was near Kings Sq. As a kid in the 1950's can still remember cattle being driven down the Oxebode to market. If my memory serves me well, Barnes Garage went out of business and the shop (garage) in Longsmith St lay empty for a while. A brick cavernous building was my impression, with two swing out brown wooden doors. It was dank and dismal inside like so many vehicle repair shops of the era with flag stone oil stained floors. I used to frequent the nearby Cross Keys or the pub near Lundegaards on Southgate St as a biker (or ton up boy as they were called back in the 60's) A former mechanic one Eric Warner who worked at Watts as the master mechanic was an ex Royal Navy WW2 veteran with his partner, one individual a called Tranter who took over the building as "Warner and Tranter" Motor Engineers. "Bespoke mechanics to the Gentry" was their motto after having set up the partnership in a rental premises on the comer of the Westgate and Key streets. I don't know about "gentry", but they did have a lot of business from the Carib community down in the Barton St area. If I knew Eric it was more than a "take the mick" out of those snooty repair shops in Cheltenham! I last went to see Eric in the early 1990's during a visit to my native city when I emigrated to Venezuela and I remember wandering about looking at what cars he had under repair include a troublesome MG Montego. (Apt I suppose Montego and Carib customers!!!! ) Of course over the years I have lost touch with some of the contacts but if you need more info my brother might still be able to help. He still lives in Morton Valance and probably remembers it too! Cheers

• cheltenham20  |  February 25 2013, 1:21PM

Jase77 have time on my hands so i scanned the newspapers of gloucestershire from 1940--1950 plenty of snippets about Barnes Garage of Longhope street,, glos.. Have put a few together to give you an idea whats on line, will make a more substantial contribution later,,, http://tinyurl.com/aarejgr

• jase77  |  February 25 2013, 1:31PM

Thats great cheltenham20!! I have the ex breakdown truck they used early sixties, a Landrover series 1.

• jase77  |  March 17 2013, 9:46PM

Have you found anything else Cheltenham20 ?

• cheltenham20  |  March 21 2013, 8:45PM

Jase 77, Dug a few more out for you, from 1932 -1950 are mostly small adds, it appears that Barnes Garage came into being in 1932, you wil understand that the ''FIND MY PAST'' website only have the newspapers up till 1950.. but its very interesting,, Hope this little clip helps you on your way,, Added a little George Formby music because he was the man at that time... http://tinyurl.com/cgtozx4

• jase77  |  March 21 2013, 10:25PM

Cheers Dave, next thing is to try and find later stuff.

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!