Login Register

Discussion

“Honest opinions wanted please! My parents are considering moving to Matson - we know nothing about the area as originally from Berkshire. Any advice appreciated as well as info about pro's & cons! :) Thanks, Lisa”

By Lisa23081 Posted: November 20, 2012

10 comments

10 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • Bonkim2003  |  November 20 2012, 9:02PM

From Berkshire to Matson - into the fire - so don't jump.

• cheltenham20  |  November 21 2012, 12:06PM

Matson is a little hamlet on the outskirts of Gloucester, as you may know lots of the Royals live in Gloucestershire, so need i say more, Do a Google earth and you will see that Matson is the place to be,,,People from all over the world head for matson, they have the world famous Cheese rolling event every year, absolute pleasure to watch, and taking part is most invigorating. You are making a very wise move, and the imigrants will welcome you with open arms.. WELCOME TO MATSON.

• Bonkim2003  |  November 21 2012, 12:52PM

cheltenham20 - of course living in Cheltenham no idea it is Coopers Hill that is the venue for cheese rolling. Check up location on google maps and do a street view to see the types of housing. Matson is a housing estate mainly social housing, and has one of the highest crime statistics within Gloucester. Example: http://tinyurl.com/b5eqq92 Burglaries and car break-ins double in Matson in 12 months TIG August 18 2012. Do I need to say more? http://tinyurl.com/bajjx5t one of four most deprived areas in Gloucester March 2012: Put Matson and crime in the TIG search space. Good luck. http://tinyurl.com/aqemw5g

• Lisa23081  |  November 21 2012, 12:59PM

Thanks for the replies - I did google before I posted my initial question & was a little worried to be honest. We're now viewing a house in Tuffley tomorrow - any improvement?? Or any recommendations for specific areas? :)

• FreeRadical1  |  November 21 2012, 5:11PM

Lisa, it all depends exactly where in Matson or Tuffley you're looking at. There are houses in Tuffley that I know for sure to be worth in excess of half a million pounds; there are others that are more suitable for keeping animals. Generally speaking, the upper part of Tuffley, on the lower slopes of Robinswood Hill, is really nice. Likewise with Matson - and there are some reasonable houses in Arrow Close, Larkham Close and the Sneedham's Green area. The St. Leonard's Park area of Matson isn't too bad either. How much can your parents afford to pay?

• Lisa23081  |  November 21 2012, 5:57PM

They're both retired so £170k max - we're looking at Grange Road tomorrow? Maybe we will get there a bit early and talk to the locals/look around :) Thanks again!

• Bonkim2003  |  November 21 2012, 6:14PM

Check with Steve Gooch Estate Agents - small shopping centre on Winsor Drive - some of the smaller streets in the area such as Longleat Avenue quieter than Grange Road which is a trough Road and used by all other traffic in the area.

• Bonkim2003  |  November 21 2012, 6:18PM

A lot of choice in the suggested price range 3/4 beds.

• FreeRadical1  |  November 21 2012, 6:28PM

When I said Arrow Close, I meant Arrowhead Close, but the prices there are a bit steep. Hucclecote is also really nice, and very suitable for retired people. You can probably get a bungalow for that price.

• MrGarnet  |  December 05 2012, 9:36PM

Lisa I live on on the edge of Matson and believe me it is no worse or even better than other areas of Gloster. If your people are looking towards the Painswick Road area towards Upton St Leonards you will find it very good. The centre of Matson is a social housing estate but no worse or perhaps even better than Cheltenham's No where is perfectly free of crime these days but I am happy enough.

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!