Login Register
 °

Discussion

“Gloucester 10K run - wonderful idea. However,which person thought it would be a good idea to draw a circle on a map completely enclosing about 4,000 residents on a Sunday morning for 2 hours? On top of that, lets not tell the police or marshalls how they can actually get out. Unbelievably stupid and astoundingly bad organisation. Get up and go?!? I would have loved to.”

By pjquick Posted: February 10, 2013

8 comments

8 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • cherry011  |  February 10 2013, 4:02PM

I quite agree really bad organisation i was trying for nearly an hour because there was literly no way out I wanted to get to tredworth it was a shambles Agree the race was a good idea but please look at the route and people who needed to get somewhere else

• rondoy  |  February 10 2013, 5:05PM

Quite agree and well done to those who took part but the staggering incompetence of the organisers who thought it was OK to hem in a third of the city and whoever allowed it to happen is amazing there were streets closed that were not even used.

• GoMiG  |  February 10 2013, 5:31PM

I can't believe how short sighted the highways department were in the planning of this. I can see how to save money in next years budget.... Sack the idiots who allowed this to happen!!!

• cherry011  |  February 10 2013, 6:54PM

Did they not think of the people who had to go to work. Also the radio said there was stop and go signs in the linden area WHERE WERE THEY I tried every road to get out the only way was across the quays towards quedgley no good to those of us who wanted to go the city way

• Tree1974  |  February 10 2013, 6:57PM

The traffic management was disgusting. We had tickets for annother event which we were extremely late for. We knew there would be closures but, not the extent and also, the flyer we were handed this morning did not reflect the way the traffic was being managed! How daft having a traffic management who wasn't from the area, didn't know the area and didn't appear to have radio contact with their colleagues! At one point the police were directing traffic from the top of Tuffley Ave to the Bristol Road end because people could turn right there and the traffic management still wouldn't let people out!!! Also according to the flyer, it was a staged closure and there would be a diversion put in place. NO STAGED CLOSURE, NO ADEQUATE SIGNAGE, NO SUITABLE DIVERSION AND NO PROPER WARNING TO THE RESIDENTS ABOUT THE EXTENT OF THE DISRUPTION. Please, please, please DO NOT repeat this next year!!!

• Hippie  |  February 10 2013, 8:37PM

Agree with all of the above. Missed a planned event elsewhere in the city, wasted at least 45 minutes driving from one "road ahead closed" sign to another. Asked two road marshal's and a very helpful, but frustrated policeman how to get out of Linden, none of whom had any idea, before eventually conceding defeat and driving back home highly frustrated. Apparently "all of the residents received leaflets in advance, warning of the closure" - That seems strange as nobody I spoke to saw one! Glad I don't organise my work this way or I'd be in big trouble!

• Tree1974  |  February 10 2013, 9:05PM

I live on Seymour road and we never had a leaflet. The one we were given this morning said 'phased closures' and 'well signposted diversions', had I been given the leaflet I would have still been stuck because that isn't what happened at all!!! Would be interesting to find out who was supposed to distribute these leaflets?

• Raccoon  |  February 12 2013, 6:23PM

Name and shame the orgainisers, please.

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!