Login Register

Fire destroys two floors in Eastgate Street building

By citizennick  |  Posted: January 18, 2013

  • Eastgate shop fire

Comments (0)

Firefighters evacuated eight people from flats in Eastgate Street, Gloucester after the Khan's Kebabs takeaway premises went up in flames early this morning.

Five crews from Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service attended the fire, thought to have started in the ground floor shop and which quickly spread to two floors above, which were severely damaged.

The blaze, which was reported to the service at 12.30am, was brought under control by 2am, but firefighters remained at the scene until 5am damping down the site and ensuring it was safe.

Eastgate Street was closed while the incident was tackled, and eight residents from nearby flats were evacuated to GL1 Leisure Centre for their safety. No one was seriously injured in the incident and all residents have now been allowed to return home.

Five engines, from Gloucester North, Gloucester South, Stroud, Cheltenham and Painswick, and an aerial appliance were used. Around 40 firefighters were at the scene.

Group Commander Tally Giampa said: “This was a significant fire, which escalated rapidly, spreading to the upper levels of the building and causing internal structural collapse. The nearby flats were evacuated quickly and efficiently so that residents were safe and to enable crews to contain the fire.”

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters