The wait is finally over for anxious parents in Gloucestershire who have now been told which secondary their child will attend in September.
A total of 81 per cent have been offered their first preference by Gloucestershire County Council - 6 per cent fewer than last year.
The majority of children - 91 per cent of the 7,326 pupils who were waiting to be allocated a place, have been given at least one of their preferred choices.
Parents now have until March 15 to accept their designated place.
Charlotte Jones, Gloucestershire County Council’s senior access manager, said: “Year six children in Gloucestershire have now heard which secondary school they would be moving to in September. Letters were posted to all parents to arrive yesterday morning.
“We know it can be stressful for parents and children waiting to hear whether they are going to be able to go the secondary school of their choice and we are pleased we’ve been able to offer six in seven children a place at their preferred school.
“Those parents who have been unsuccessful in gaining a place at their preferred school for their child still have the opportunity to ask for their application to be reconsidered if they respond to us by March 15th. This second stage of the process is designed to help more parents find a place for their child at one of their preferred schools.”
Every parent has been sent a letter explaining the reason for the decision made. They are being urged to keep their allocated place to ensure that whatever the outcome their child is guaranteed a school.
If parents ask for it to be reconsidered they can request their child be placed on the waiting list for the school(s). If places then become available, they will be allocated in strict accordance with published admissions criteria.
The admission criteria and more information about waiting lists for every school in Gloucestershire is available on the county council’s website www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/schooladmissions or within booklets that are available at all schools, children’s centres and libraries.
Individual copies of the booklets can be obtained by ringing the Access to Education Team on 01452 425407.
The Access to Education Team will write to parents with the result of the reconsideration after March 31. Parents who are still not satisfied with their allocated school will then be advised of the appeals procedure.
Did your child win a place at the school they wanted to go to? Email your story to our education correspondent, Fiona Dryden at: firstname.lastname@example.org