Login Register

Warrant issued for Gloucester tearaway Rhys Shardlow after court no-show

By The Citizen  |  Posted: February 24, 2014

Gloucester Crown Court

A WARRANT has been issued for the arrest of Gloucester tearaway Rhys Shardlow after he flouted the terms of his freedom for the third time.

Just over two weeks ago, Shardlow was released by Judge Jamie Tabor QC with a curfew after he admitted two earlier breaches of non-custodial sentences.

Yesterday Shardlow did not show up at Gloucester crown court to face his third breach proceedings and Judge Tabor issued a warrant for him to be arrested.

The judge was told Shardlow had received the 10-week curfew order on February but two days later he stayed out all night.

Related content

Simon Burns, prosecuting, said Shardlow should have been home between 9pm and 6am.

Shardlow had also twice failed to turn up for meetings with the probation service regarding a community order and he had also not appeared for the court hearing, added Mr Burns.

At the hearing on February 6, when the curfew was imposed, Shardlow, of London Road, Gloucester, admitted he had breached a criminal ASBO and a community order by going to a road he is banned from – and receiving a stolen car key.

The prolific young offender has 67 previous criminal convictions.

Judge Tabor told Shardlow at the previous hearing: “You have been making some efforts to change your life.”

“Those efforts so far have signally failed – but you were starting from a very low base as a man with 67 convictions by the time you were 20.

“You have been living a lifestyle of crime and everyone knows it. You are one of the best known young criminals in Gloucester.”

Last October, when Shardlow first appeared before Judge Tabor, he was given an 18-month supervision order and ordered to do 80 hours of unpaid work for stealing two bicycles.

Then in January this year Shardlow was back before the judge admitting he had breached the order by failing to report for supervision and work on November 14 and December 2.

The judge sentenced him then to a two-week curfew but in February was told that a week after the curfew ended he was found at 1.50am in Sandyleaze, Longlevens, Gloucester – a road he is banned from going to by the terms of his CRASBO.

In his sock was the key to a VW Golf which was parked outside a nearby house.

It had been taken from inside another car at the same address some time after 6.30pm the previous night.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen