Login Register

Teignmouth tamed as Drybrook dream of final

By The Citizen  |  Posted: February 06, 2013

team spirit: Drybrook can aim for a Twickenham final

Comments (0)

Teignmouth 13

Drybrook 47

DRYBROOK put in a champagne showing at Teignmouth to move to within two wins of a dream Twickenham final appearance.

Teignmouth had all the early pressure in South West Counties Senior Vase Final, but all they had to show for it was a penalty after 15 minutes.

Drybrook hit back immediately when a strong driving maul resulted in a penalty kick in front of the posts that Tom Treherne easily converted.

With 26 minutes gone Drybrook's Chris Rawlings was yellow carded for not rolling away after a tackle and Teignmouth kicked the resulting penalty to regain the lead.

Despite a one-man disadvantage, Drybrook upped their game and number eight Andy Chesters went over for a try following a scrum close to the home line.

Treherne added the conversion as Drybrook surged into a 10-3 lead.

A spiralling up-and-under from Carl Moore then caused panic in the home ranks and winger Andy Bulumakau was up quickly to take it on the bounce before racing clear to score from half way.

With the half almost over Drybrook got a third try when Rawlings put skipper Simon Rugman through the gap on half way and the big centre made a lot of ground before sending out a long pass to the supporting Moore who scampered in.

Treherne's successful conversion was followed by the half-time whistle.

Drybrook were even better in the second half and Teignmouth began to wilt under the constant bombardment.

With ten minutes gone Rugman forced his way over the line for a try and minutes later back row man Liam Jackson was hauled down just short after a run from half way.

Teignmouth then had a player yellow carded and he was quickly followed by Drybrook's Danny Price but the visitors kept up the pressure and Treherne slotted another penalty to increase the lead.

Another Teignmouth player was then sent to the sin bin but the home side raised their game and grabbed a try under the Drybrook posts.

Drybrook prevented any chance of a comeback by Teignmouth when they scored another good try.

This time Bulumakau made a lot of ground before slipping an inside pass to Rugman who dived over in the corner.

The last ten minutes belonged to Drybrook and their superiority was emphasised when Moore grabbed a pushover try as the Devon heads began to drop and Adam Swordy added the conversion.

In the last minute a kick and chase by centre Luke Fisher caused more panic in the home ranks and winger Charlie Dagwell was put in for an easy try.

Making a welcome return for Drybrook was second half substitute Ben Large after three months out with a broken arm.

Drybrook have been drawn away to Marlborough in the quarter-finals on February 23.

Drybrook: Tom Treherne, Andy Bulumakau, Simon Rugman(capt), Luke Fisher, Rorie Day, Chris Rawlings, Carl Moore, Craig Clarke, Mitch Renton, Tom Reed, Rich Cottrell, Marcus Cowles, Dan Price, Liam Jackson, Andy Chesters. Reps: Jun Sing Lee, Adam Swordy, Joe Tingle, Charlie Dagwell, Nick Ovens, Ben Large, Lee Ward.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters