A HORRIFIED supermarket customer who claimed she discovered animal excrement inside her groceries has vowed never to shop at the store again.
Arlene Hanson said she found the unpleasant addition among food she had ordered online and picked up from the Brockworth Tesco Extra store.
The company has carried out a full investigation, informed their pest control department and issued a full apology.
A regular Tesco shopper for years, Ms Hanson decided to try the Click and Collect service and ordered £90 worth of shopping online.
She picked up her pre-bagged items from the Delta Way supermarket on the morning of October 29.
She took them straight home to Linnet Close and began unpacking the groceries in her kitchen.
At the bottom of one bag, she said she discovered the revolting addition among margarine and yoghurt.
She said: "I put my hand in and touched it and realised what it was.
"I was absolutely, shocked, horrified and disgusted.
"I could not believe what I was seeing and the fact that I had actually touched it."
She rushed straight back to the store in Delta Way and broke down in tears as she explained to staff what had happened.
The Abbeydale resident was appalled when they merely offered to repack her bags.
The 37-year-old said: "Why would I take more groceries from a store that had just given me excrement?
"No sensible person would do that.
"They even asked me if I had cats at home that could have made the mess in the bag, which I don't, or if my neighbours' cats could have got into the house and done it."
The marketing representative submitted a written complaint to the company the next day and received a response after more than a week.
She said: "It has definitely put me off Tesco for life."
The store manager Leroy Robinson wrote to her on November 6 to apologise for the "ghastly" incident.
He said a full investigation had been carried out and it was believed a stray cat had managed to get into her shopping bags, "unsighted" by staff.
He said the company's pest control department had been informed about the incident.
Tesco head office wrote on November 7 to apologise to her.
Ms Hanson has also reported the incident to Environmental Health officers.