Login Register

Severnsiders find their spark and claim a belated away win

By WillWoodrugby  |  Posted: December 11, 2012

Comments (0)


LYDNEY provided further proof they are starting to gel after their first away win in 13 months secured back-to-back National Two South victories.

With their ten-match losing streak ending last week against South West rivals Dings Crusaders, the Severnsiders finished their 2012 away record on a high thanks to 14 points from new fly-half Danny Trigg.

It was the pack who earned the victory though after the scrum won a first-half penalty try and then cruised over the line for captain Matt Taylor to grab the crucial score.

The game was marred by mass confusion on the hour when two players were sin-binned for the home side and one for the visitors with their return and substitutions causing chaos.

The hosts were first on the board after two minutes through a successful penalty from full-back Dan Pollard but Trigg matched him four minutes later.

Lydney wing Alex Hall could not gather Chris Holder's pass metres from the line but the pack put the squeeze on earning a penalty try with Trigg converting on 23 minutes.

Pollard then missed a second penalty five minutes later before dotting down in the corner after a fast counter attack on half hour but his conversion was short.

Trigg's accurate penalty pushed his side five clear to lead 13-8 at half-time before adding another three points five minutes into the second period.

After 13 consecutive successful kicks for his new club, Trigg finally pushed one wide on 51 minutes before Pollard missed an effort two minutes later.

Severnsiders centre Josh Innes then saved a try by hacking to touch but from the catch and drive lineout Bournemouth replacement Dan Cawley dived over on the hour with Pollard short.

From the restart Lydney tight-head Andy Jarrett, opposite number Luca Firetto and Bournemouth lock Ian Collier were sin-binned for fighting with Trigg keeping the scoreboard ticking over with another penalty.

Bournemouth lost a third to the bin when Cawley was dismissed five minutes later for dragging down the maul with Taylor scoring from the scrum and Trigg off target to stretch to 24-13.

With minutes remaining Bournemouth secured a losing bonus point when hooker and captain Alan Manning barged over and Pollard was off target but the day belonged to Lydney.

Duncan Bell's rejuvenated side will now take their new-found confidence into their two home clashes against fifth placed Shelford and leaders Henley before reaching the campaign's halfway point.

BOURNEMOUTH: D Pollard; P O'Brien (Pearce, 41), D Connolly, S Chislett, B Stewart; B Stevenson, S Hardcastle; B Carrel, A Manning (captain), L Firetto; T Collier (Grace, 70)  C Forrest; F Wilford (Cawley, half-time), C Grace (Featherstone, 60), G Hart. Replacements: B Featherstone (Deward, 71), D Cawley, E Edwards, D Pearce.
LYDNEY: T Wicks; J Hannam, C Holder, J Innes, A Hall (Chui, 62); D Trigg, J Graham; S Winchcombe, B Lewis, A Jarrett (Longton; D Bennett, C Daniel; T Longton (Fields, 65), W Jones (Taylor, 80), M Taylor (captain). Replacements: J Fields, D Bell, B Taylor, D Chui, M Dodge.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • fuddlebagley  |  December 11 2012, 8:04PM

    No doubt the so-called talentless-spotter will be pretending to know all about this game and every singles player that took to the field. He must go to at least half a dozen games every Saturday, if you were to believe his BS.

    |   5