Login Register
 °

Prison for 'big man' who crashed through roundabout with four children in car

By The Citizen  |  Posted: January 26, 2013

upset:  James Trigg.

James Trigg.

Comments (8)

FOUR children had to be taken to hospital after driver James Trigg rammed another car twice and drove over the top of a roundabout.

He refused to get out of his car until police threatened him with a taser, Gloucester Crown Court heard.

And later, when an officer asked him for a breath sample, Trigg refused, telling the officer: "I'm the big man – I know where you live."

Trigg, 36, of Underhill Road, Matson, was jailed for a year after he admitted dangerous driving, possessing cannabis and having no insurance on October 27 last year. He was also banned from driving for three years.

Lisa Hennessy, prosecuting, said Trigg had two 12-year-old girls and two younger children in the back of his Renault 19 at the time – and an adult passenger in the front.

All four children needed hospital treatment and one was taken from the scene on a stretcher with a neck brace.

The offences began when Trigg rammed the side of Matthew Bennett's car at a junction in Abbeymead Avenue, said Mrs Hennessy.

"He pulled out and drove straight into the front left side of Mr Bennett's Ford Focus, throwing the girls in the back forwards," she said.

"Trigg reversed the car then drove forwards again, crashing into Mr Bennett's rear wing. One of the girls was screaming with fear as Trigg's car headed along Abbeymead Avenue towards Morrisons supermarket. He then drove straight over the roundabout, through the trees in the middle, and landed on the other side where he stopped the car."

A small bag of cannabis was also found on Trigg.

In mitigation, Jon Holmes said: "He is very upset about the danger that he put those children in.

"He is expecting, and he accepts, he will get a prison sentence."

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

8 comments

  • LordBelland  |  February 14 2013, 6:53PM

    If he had got lucky and had Judge Tabor dealing with the case he'd have got away with a slap on the wrists..... The criminals best friend likes to keep the prisons empty

  • Matt1006  |  January 28 2013, 9:22AM

    QwertyOS - problem often is that the judges are restricted in the sentences they can hand down, by the sentencing laws to which they have to abide by. The sentence given to the banned idiot who killed Paul Stock was woefully inadequate, but the maximum he could have been given for the crimes he was charged with & then found guilty of was 2 years, which then had to then be reduced by 6 months due to the guilty plea (which I consider to be wrong - he only pleased guilty to get the sentence reduced. It wasn't because he was sorry). The charge was wrong in that case (which is down to the CPS), but the judge can only go on the charges presented in court, and then by what the sentencing guidelines state once the guilty verdict is reached (or a guilty plea entered). The CPS need to look at exactly what charges are placed, but the sentencing guidelines also need reviewing and tightening up, so that these repeat offenders - who do not learn anything from their last conviction - are dealt with more severely. The idiot in the article above won't (I suspect) learn, and will offend again once he's released (before the end of the summer). Let's just hope that as & when he acts like a twonk behind the wheel again, the only person he injures (or even kills) is himself, and not an innocent who has the misfortune to get in his way.

    |   10
  • QwertyOS  |  January 28 2013, 8:51AM

    We need a total upheaval of the judges who work the legal system. We cannot have chavs like these mixing with decent people. There needs to to be a judge who will stand up, be counted and hand out sentences that suit the crime.

    |   6
  • tishwash  |  January 27 2013, 1:02PM

    I like how he was banned from driving but had no insurance to drive anyway, going to put him off isn't it

    |   6
  • Matt1006  |  January 27 2013, 9:25AM

    A year sentence is bad enough, but he'll be out on licence by August. And a 3-year driving ban. Yeah, right, because of course he'll adhere to that, won't he? He'll have now learned his lesson, and never commit another single driving offence, ever. On the other hand... "Big man", he thinks. No. Perhaps during his 6-month stay in an HM Hotel he might just meet a few "big men", who might help him re-evaluate where he stands in the pecking order. And no, it's not legal to have 4 people (children, or otherwise) in the back of a vehicle that size. 3 maximum, as governed by the number of seatbelts. If he'd bothered to get insurance, it would have stipulated the maximum number of seats in the car. The roads are a little safer with this moron behind bars, but only for 6 months.

    |   9
  • bonzaharris1  |  January 26 2013, 7:27PM

    One flipping year, sentencing these days is becoming a bad joke. This cretin injured and put the lives of four children in danger with his lunatic driving. Not only that 4 children in the back, and an adult in the front, surely that cannot be legal, there is no way that he could have safely restrained with seat belts the passengers in the back seats. He should have at five years at the least, and bunged a lifetime driving ban to go with it.

    |   12
  • tishwash  |  January 26 2013, 4:58PM

    a year! a YEAR!?

    |   13
  • Selector  |  January 26 2013, 12:21PM

    Scum, sub-human scum.

    |   27

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES