Login Register

Picture evokes memories of Gloucester Railway Triangle heyday

By The Citizen  |  Posted: October 16, 2012

  • Railway Triangle in 1993 taken from Metz Way.

Comments (0)

SOME 19 years ago, this was the Railway Triangle back when the building was still a telegraph and signalling centre.

The picture was taken by railway enthusiast David Hopkins.

Today, after more than 15 years of being neglected, the site is being redeveloped.

David, who confesses he has loved trains for more than 60 years, took the photograph in 1993 from Metz Way as it was very unusual to see a train lying beside the building.

Related content

He said: "It would not have been long after Metz Way opened that I took the photo.

"I've been taking pictures of Gloucester's railways for years but on this occasion I spotted the weed-killing train which was a rare sight to see. You can see the tank sandwiched between two locomotives which showed it would go up and down the line to get rid of the weeds along the railway.

"My passion for railways grew from when I was a boy and spent time with my godfather who worked on the railways. It is sad to see the decline of the railway as it was but I suppose it is all in the name of progress."

The derelict site was granted planning permission in December 2011 for a new Morrisons supermarket and petrol station and work began last month. A pub, restaurant, takeaways, car showroom, a new road junction of Metz Way and other business units are set to follow as part of a £34million overhaul on the site. Bulldozers have been clearing the land on the controversial site – which many hoped would be used to build a new railway station.

However, David, who lives in Hucclecote, said: "It is good to see the land being put to good use after so many years of being disused.

"It is not in a good state and has a lot of attempts from people trying to break in and sleep on the site."

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • peterjd  |  October 16 2012, 5:24PM

    I began working here from Monday 1st April 1968 right through to Friday 2nd February 1996, as this was the day the door closed for ever. When I began working here, there were so many men, that they had to have single decker buses to transport the workers around Gloucestershire. When the doors closed, there was just 2 of us to carry on at Worcester.

    |   6