Login Register

Paedophile singer Ian Watkins given 35 years in prison for child sex abuse after GCHQ in Gloucestershire cracks laptop

By Michael_Yong  |  Posted: December 18, 2013

By Michael Yong

Comments (2)

Computer experts at Gloucestershire's GCHQ cracked paedophile rock singer Ian Watkins’s laptop to reveal a string of horrific child sex abuse videos.

Watkins, the former lead singer of now disbanded Welsh band Lostprophets, was today sentenced to 35 in prison for child sex offences.

The 36-year-old from Pontypridd, Wales, pleaded guilty at Cardiff Crown Court on November 13 to child sex offences.

In sentencing, Mr Justice Royce said the singer had “plunged into new depths of depravity”, and Watkins was described as a “committed and determined paedophile”.

Two mothers, known only as Woman A and Woman B, were sentenced to 14 year and 17 years respectively. They were mothers to the abused children.

Watkins will now spend 29 years in prison, with a further six years on licence.

It was reported Judge Royce said: “Those who have appeared in these courts over many years see a large number of horrific cases. This case, however, breaks new ground.

"You, Watkins, achieved fame and success as the lead singer of Lostprophets. You had many fawning fans. That gave you power. You knew you could use that power to induce young female fans to help satisfy your insatiable lust and take part in the sexual abuse of their own children.

"Away from the highlights of your public performances lay a dark and sinister side."

Last month, it was revealed experts from GCHQ had helped to crack his laptop, after investigators at South Wales Police found it in his flat.

The laptop contained pictures and videos of the children he sexually abused, in hotels in South Wales and London.

Detective Chief Inspector Peter Doyle, Senior Investigating Officer at South Wales Police, said: ““Today’s sentence reflects the gravity of the crimes that have been committed. The three paedophiles responsible for the terrible abuse of two babies have now been brought to justice.

“The investigation uncovered the most disturbing child abuse evidence I have seen in my 28 years as a police officer.

“The guilty pleas have ensured that the jury were spared from viewing evidence that would have been extremely traumatic.

“The safeguarding of children has been an absolute priority for the investigation team. Today’s sentence does not mark the end of our investigations and we will work tirelessly to identify any other victims or witnesses and seek the justice they deserve. In the last few weeks we have received further information that will now be looked at by the investigation team.

“There are also investigations being conducted by other police forces around the world including Germany and the United States.

“Above all this investigation has been focused on the protection of children and my thoughts today remain with those victims.”

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

2 comments

  • GlosAnarchy  |  December 19 2013, 9:33AM

    Well said Jemmy

    Rate   2
    Report
  • JemmyWood  |  December 19 2013, 8:48AM

    Oh the double standards of The Citizen. Only last week were the staff at GCHQ being spoken about like they were the ant-christ because of someone saying they were reading everyones emails, hacking your xbox and most probably watching what you buy in your online shopping at Tescos in the hunt for terrorists. Now they are heroes for hacking this disgusting pervert's laptop and giving the police the evidence they needed to bring about a strong enough case that led to a conviction. ... So which is it TC?Personally, I am very happy and feel secure they are in the Donought doing whatever they do and long may they do so.

    Rate   3
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES

       
       
       

      MOST POPULAR