Login Register

Newent complete rare double with Senior Vase win at Twickenham

By lauracfell  |  Posted: May 04, 2014

We are the champions: Newent celebrate their Twickenham victory

Comments (0)



NEWENT completed a rare double in the RFU Senior Vase thanks to a second half comeback at the home of English rugby.

In front of their Green Army of fans at Twickenham, the Goatley brothers Joe and Barney clinched two second-half tries to win the title after the club won the Junior Vase last season.

Longlevens set the tone for what was a spectacular day for Gloucestershire in south west London. with a 23-12 win in the Junior Vase against Rugby Lions.

Captain Tristan Veale was sinbinned within three minutes of play but that did not stop Newent getting off the mark first with a well-struck penalty from Ross Webb in the sixth minute.

But it was Yarnbury who threatened the Newent try-line and were it not for a forward pass could have crossed the whitewash.

Carl Paterson booted Yarnbury level in the 21st minute before an electrifying kick chase from winger Ellis Gomarsell ignited the Yarnbury fans, but Newent’s Richard Merrett was first to the ball.

As chants of ‘Green Army’ rang around the Twickenham arena, superb handling along the back-line almost earned Newent a try, as Merrett offloaded to Dominic Matthews, who set up Brett Gardner. But Matthews knocked on in the tackle and the men in green saw a chance go begging.

Will Mansfield had an opportunity when chasing his own grubber toward the line but was left isolated by the Yarnbury defence and penalised for holding on.

With both defences proving watertight the score remained 3-3 at the break to set up a pulsating second half.

After a nervy opening 10 minutes, Yarnbury fired a forward pass in their own 22 in trying to clear their lines and Newent capitalised on the territory, winning a penalty.

Webb split the posts for three points but that was immediately nullified as Yarnbury won a penatly, which was well-booted by Paterson for a 6-6 stalemate.

Fly-half Joe Goatley made a scintillating run toward the try-line but proved to be too greedy, tackled into touch straining for the line rather than passing to the men in support.

Another Yarnbury mistake - a knock-on - in their 22 gifted Newent a scrum on the five metre line and it was from this that Goatley made up for his previous error.

He saw the gap and darted through in the 61st minute, with Paterson adding the extras to give Newent a 13-6 lead going into the final quarter.

Yarnbury were then penalised for holding on and Paterson booted the kick deep into the 22.

Again the men from Yorkshire could not stem the green tide and Goatley’s brother Barney also crashed over with Paterson converting with just fourteen minutes remaining. (20-6)

As the game entered the final 10 minutes, a Yarnbury driving effort after Newent were penalised in the line-out gave the Yorkshire club their first try, as James Barrett grounded the ball.

Yarnbury knocked on in their final attack and jubilant scenes ensued for Newent and their army of dedicated fans.

NEWENT: R Merrett, B Gardner, B Goatley, R Webb, D Matthews, W Mansfield, J Deaon, M Morris, L Williams, C Steward, T Veale (c), L Marriott, F Nottingham, G Phelps, J Duffin

REPLACEMENTS: G Tovey, J Parker, L Warren, C Gellert, J Meek, J Goatley, D Bubb-Sacklyn

YARNBURY: S Wilson, C Flowers, J Avison, S Riley, E Gomersall, C Paterson, O Cashman (c), A Pike, T Gilchrist, R Lister, I Maycokc, J Falgate, J Bennett, J Barrett, J Cyan

REPLACEMENTS: A Butterfield, C Doyle, R Gomersall, J Huss, L Mortimer, R Rigby, A Clark-Akal

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters