Login Register

Newent Rugby Club make it 14 wins in a row

By The Citizen  |  Posted: January 15, 2014

Comments (0)

St Mary’s OBs 7 Newent 74

NEWENT notched their 14th consecutive victory of the season with this 12-try trouncing of a willing but mediocre St Marys OB side that had no answer to the intensity, purpose and clinical finishing of the Gloucester Premier leaders.

St Mary’s started strongly and it was five minutes before Newent ventured into opposition territory.

Openside George Phelps galloped down the blindside before drawing a defender and putting Dan Bubb-Sacklyn away for the first try.

On the 14-minute mark and against the run of play, Phelps again won the ball and sliced open the defence before offloading to scrum-half James Dean who outpaced the opposition to score Newent’s second try. Joe Goatley converted.

The irrepressible Phelps caught the ball from the restart and ploughed his way through the opposition ranks to create space for Joe Goatley to inflict further damage before he passed to Ross Webb who ran in under the posts. Goatley added the extras.

Phelps was yellow-carded after 20 minutes for going over the top and it was when the visitors were reduced to seven men in the pack that the hosts scored their only try of the match.

At the half hour stage the visitors had worked their way inside the opposition 22 and although their scrum was on the retreat, number eight John Duffin did well to control the ball. Joe Goatley received the pass on the 22 and produced a classic show-and-go to leave the defence floundering in his wake as he went over under the posts for the bonus point try, which he also converted.

The next score came five minutes later when Duffin made a powerful break from the base of the scrum to set up a threatening position inside the St Mary’s half. The ball was whipped out to Goatley who feinted to go open before passing inside to Bubb-Sacklyn.

He fed Charlie Gellert who had a clear run under the posts to finish off what was a brilliantly executed move. Goatley again converted to give Newent a 33-7 half-time lead.

Just four minutes into the second period Duffin took a quick tap penalty and made one of his trademark bullocking runs that scuttled the opposition. Newent recycled several times before Rocky Marriott spotted a gap and shrugged off several would-be tacklers to score near the posts. Goatley converted.

The visitors were now in full flow and the ball was moved quickly to Brett Gardner on the left who kicked ahead into space. The ball was hacked through and it was Barney Goatley who won the race to touch down. Joe Goatley converted.

There was no let-up for the home side as Phelps again caused a turnover, allowing Joe Goatley to dummy his way over in the corner for his second try that took Newent past 50 points.

The next try came when Dean fielded a kick on his 22 and set off down the right touchline for a fine individual try.

Newent’s 10th try came when replacement centre Toby Freeman broke the line and fed Phelps who took out the cover defence before popping the ball up to Fred Nottingham to score. Goatley kicked his seventh conversion to take his match tally to 24 points.

Not to be outdone by his brother, Barney Goatley secured a deserved hat-trick by outstripping the defence to scorch over for two more tries out wide.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters