Login Register

Man admits breaking Guy Ritchie's brother's leg by dangerous driver in Gloucester Docks

By EchoLauraC  |  Posted: January 27, 2014

  • Kevin Baynton

Comments (1)

A man has admitted dangerous driving after Guy Ritchie’s half-brother was thrown from the bonnet of his car into a bollard at Gloucester Dock.

The film director’s sibling feared he would have to have his foot amputated after dangerous driver Witold Poreba ploughed into him, leaving him with a broken leg.

Gloucester Crown Court heard Mr Baynton, who shares a mum with Madonna’s ex-husband, was traveling with friends who believed Poreba had made a driving error on October 25, 2012.

Judge Jamie Tabor QC said CCTV captured some of the incident, involving the “three large men” following Poreba.

He said: “The defendant was followed around Gloucester for a considerable amount of time which culminated in Gloucester Docks.

“The complainant’s vehicle came across the front of the defendant’s, before the complainant and a passenger get out.

“They go off screen, but the next thing you see is the defendant’s vehicle reversing, as if to get away. It then comes back into shot with the complainant on the car bonnet and the next thing is he is thrown off it, hits a bollard and breaks his leg.”

Poreba of New Street, Gloucester was initially charged with grievous bodily harm, but that was dropped and he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving.

Prosecutor Julian Kesner said there appeared to have been an issue over the use of headlights earlier that evening, which sparked the incident..

Defending Robert Duval said Poreba had not driven his Peugeot 307 provocatively until he reached the Quays that night, but those in the vehicle with Mr Baynton had.

Following the crash, 53-year-old Mr Baynton, said he look down to see his right foot completely twisted around.

He said: “I remember rolling across the road and thought it was curtains for me.

“I looked down and saw my foot was the wrong way. It basically demolished the ankle. It wasn’t like in the movies, there was hardly any blood but it hurt.”

Mr Baynton, who was with colleagues from Limitless Marketing that night, said they and some off duty nurses from Cheltenham rushed to his aid and called paramedics.

The former soldier, who was taken to Gloucestershire Royal Hospital before being transferred to Bristol, was just metres from his Parliament Street home.

He underwent three operations as surgeons fought to save the foot by keeping the blood supply flowing.

My Baynton was adopted as a child and met the director for the first time in 1997, before Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels was released.

He said his famous sibling had rung after the smash to check he was OK.

Judge Tabor adjourned sentencing Polish Poreba until February 17.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters