Login Register

Lydney girl and her dog were rescued from Forest of Dean house fire

By CitizenNews  |  Posted: August 15, 2014

A girl and her dog were rescued from a Lydney house fire this morning

A girl and her dog were rescued from a Lydney house fire this morning

Comments (2)

A GIRL and her dog were rescued from a burning house in the Forest this morning.

Fire broke out in a property on Naas Lane, in Lydney, shortly before 5am.

A spokesman for Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service said: “There was a fire and we rescued a girl and her dog.

“She was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and fire crews arrived within seven minutes.”

Appliances from Lydney and Coleford were called to the scene where they found a house full of smoked.

Crews used breathing apparatus and hose reels to tackle the fire and stayed on scene for around an hour

Chief fire officer Stewart Edgar said he is "proud" of fire control staff who kept the girl calm and offered her survival advice while crews moved in to rescue her.

Chief Fire Officer Stewart Edgar said, “I am also very proud of the local retained crew at Lydney as they were on scene very quickly and their prompt actions saved the occupant’s life.

"The important message is if the property had been fitted with a smoke alarm there’s no doubt we could have been alerted sooner.

“The occupant was treated for smoke inhalation but the situation could have been worse. A total of 211 people across the country died in fires in the home last year, and more than 70 per cent of these weren't alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm, so it's vital to have them installed and to test them regularly."

Call Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 180 41 40 for a free home safety check and fire alarm.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

2 comments

  • cherryb_m  |  August 15 2014, 9:11PM

    Hello, My name is Cherry Barber-Masnell, I'm 18, about to go to uni, and I am the 'girl' in the article. My dog's name is Pogo, he's a lab-spaniel-collie cross and 4 years old. We've had him since he was a pup and all through the traumatic experience he stayed by my side. I don't really know what the protocol for this sort of thing is, I'm not exactly throwing myself into house fires... But I felt that I needed to do something to show my gratitude to the member's of the emergency services that saved our lives. I know that without their quick response I know that I wouldn't be here wondering how best to show my appreciation to each and every one of them. So Pogo and I would just like to personally and publicly say thank you. Thank You

    Rate   1
    Report
  • cherryb_m  |  August 15 2014, 9:00PM

    Hello, My name is Cherry Barber-Mansell, I'm 18 and I am the 'girl' in the article. My dogs name is Pogo and he is 4. I don't really know what the protocol for this sort of thing is, I don't exactly throw myself into house fire, and didn't even know this report existed until a friend showed it to me. But I felt like I needed to do something to show my thanks to all the member's of the emergency response team that saved our lives. I know that without them I wouldn't be here now, trying to work out what the best way to show my gratitude to each and every one of them. So Pogo and myself would just like to personally and publicly say thank you. Thank You

    Rate   6
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES