Login Register

Lydney Rugby Club beat Avonmouth - but it's tough going

By The Citizen  |  Posted: March 16, 2014

Comments (0)

Lydney 25 Avonmouth OBs 17

LYDNEY suffered a huge scare before taking the National Three South West points at Regentsholme. Relegation-threatened Avonmouth came out all guns blazing in the opening stages and led 10-0 at the end of the first quarter.

They stretched that to 12 points at half-time and it wasn’t until the 64th minute that Lydney got their noses in front.

It was all Avonmouth in the early stages and they went ahead in the eighth minute when full-back Eamonn Rees slotted a penalty.

They went further ahead 12 minutes later when, following a period of sustained of pressure, the ball was fed out to wing Charlie Reynolds, who went over for the score and Rees converted.

The try woke up Lydney and they came back strongly, opening their account with a well-worked three-quarters move.

The ball reached centre Chris Holder, who was stationed out on the wing, and he ran over for a try in the corner. Tony Wicks was unable to convert.

Both teams attacked with plenty of intent in the second quarter but it was Avonmouth, who are second from bottom and have won only four league games this season, who struck next.

Second row Harry Hone surged downfield taking a number of Lydney tacklers with him before being held up just short of the try-line.

But when the ball was recycled, it was fed out to Reynolds who went over for his second try. Rees converted to give the visitors a shock 17-5 advantage at the break.

Lydney started the second half as though they meant business but initially they were repelled by some excellent Avonmouth defending.

Eventually they broke through after a long period of possession.

Second row Dave Bennett picked up from a ruck five metres out and powered over for the try, which Wicks converted.

It was all Lydney by this stage and as the pressure increased the visitors started to concede penalties.

Wicks slotted from in front of the posts and two minutes later – in the 64th minute – he kicked another penalty from under the posts to put Lydney 18-17 in front.

There was only likely to be one winner at this stage as Avonmouth started to run out of steam and Lydney scored an excellent try 10 minutes from time through replacement wing Charlie Vine, who shook off several tacklers before touching down.

Wicks’ conversion stretched the lead to eight points.

Lydney battered Avonmouth in the closing stages as they looked for the bonus-point try but to Avonmouth’s credit they held firm to deny the runaway leaders.

LYDNEY: Tony Wicks, Josh Hannis, Chris Holder, Josh Innes, Jack O’Connell, Mike Baxter, Sam Arnott, Zen Swagrzak, Mike Wallis, Steve Price, Brett Scriven, Dave Bennett, Adam Wheeler, Matt Boobyer, Will Jones. Reps, Sam Fisher, Jimmy Roberts, Charlie Vine.

AVONMOUTH OBs: Eamonn Rees, Josh Krupa, Matt Blbin, Liam Poole, Charlie Reynolds, Joe Wearne, Connor Power, Josh Perks, Craig Britton, Ashley Challenger, Ryan Templer, Harry Hone, Phil Dickinson, Marko Mladenovic, Dan Lee, Reps, Ben Souch, Sam Thompson, Ben Seward.

REFEREE: Chris Newton (Bristol).

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters