Login Register

Longlevens cup joy at Castle Cary

By The Citizen  |  Posted: December 26, 2013

Comments (0)

LONGLEVENS kept their Twickenham dreams alive with an impressive win in the RFU Junior Vase at the leaders of Somerset One.

Cary took early control with a penalty 15 metres out following ill-discipline in the tackle area.

However, a fired up Longlevens side, welcoming back a host of players from injury, didn’t take long to get into their groove and were rewarded for their efforts after strong runs from Jed Jones and Jake Kitson in the loose.

Centre Tom Griffiths weaved his way over for a well-worked team try and Mike Hagan slotted the extras from wide out.

Within minutes Longlevens were back deep into Cary territory and Hagan again made no mistake, slotting an easy penalty. However, Cary hit back with a penalty of their own.

The away side were dominating possession and were controlled at the set-piece with Mark Hancock securing decent lineout ball and the front row of Deacon, Davies and Edwards causing trouble to the home team’s scrum. And it was from a five-metre scrum following some lovely interchanging play in the loose where Levens gained further advantage.

Replacement back row Matt Lodge unselfishly fed scrum- half Hagan to dart over uncontested. The extras were missed.

Longlevens were now full of confidence and immediately ran back at the Cary defence to score the try of the match.

Straight from the kick off, Lodge and Kitson ran through the Cary pack.

That was followed by some quick hands by Jones and Wilton which saw centre Griffiths race clear with a four on one overlap.

He popped inside to speedster Harry Yorke who made light work of outpacing the flagging Cary defence. Hagan missed the extras but Longlevens led 20-6 at the break.

Cary were still struggling to cope with the pace of the game and from the start Longlevens all but sealed the win with another fine try finished by full-back Jack Beck following more slick handling in the back line led by fly-half Craig Barden. Hagan again missed the extras in tough conditions.

With the clock ticking down and the pitch conditions worsening, Cary threw everything at Longlevens and were rewarded for their persistence with two tries to narrow the score to 25-16.

Yellow cards were shown to captain Jed Jones and Steve Philips for infringements in the tackle area but Longlevens held on for a fine win.

Next up for Longlevens in the competition is a daunting trip to Cornish side Liskeard Looe for the final of the South West division in February.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters