Login Register

James spot-on to boost Rovers

By The Citizen  |  Posted: December 04, 2012

Comments (0)

TUFFLEY Rovers moved two points clear at the top of the Gloucestershire County League following their 2-1 victory at Bishop's Cleeve Reserves.

It was a tale of two penalties at Kayte Lane, with Richard James netting the decisive goal from 12 yards late in the game.

That came after Jamie Lock had levelled from the spot for the Villagers just after the hour mark to cancel out Courtney Hamilton's early goal for Tuffley.

The win, coupled with Southmead CS Athletic's surprise 3-1 defeat at Rockleaze Rangers, means that Tuffley now sit two points ahead of King's Stanley in second.

But that is only after Stanley themselves missed out on a chance to draw level with the Glevum Park club after only drawing 1-1 at home to Hanham Athletic.

Hanham started well and were clearly looking to avenge the previous week's 5-0 defeat at Yate Town Reserves.

They took the lead in the second minute as Jack Baber headed home from a free-kick.

Both sides were then guilty of missing a succession of chances, before just before the break Ryan Stevenson headed home to level the scores.

The chances continued to come in the second half, but neither side could convert and the spoils were shared.

Ellwood announced their title ambitions with a solid 2-0 win over Patchway Town, a result that moves them above Southmead CS Athletic and into third place.

Former Cinderford Town and Gloucester City striker Daryl Addis gave the Foresters the lead the lead in the ninth minute, waltzing around the keeper before sliding the ball home.

Jamie Powell made the points safe for the Blues with a superb 20-yard strike in the 70th minute.

At the bottom of the table, Berkeley Town are in danger of being cut adrift after they were convincingly beaten by Bristol Academy at the WISE campus.

The struggling Hunters have had to deal with the departure of experienced goalkeeper Ewan Prentice, whose place was taken by 41-year-old veteran Lee Mason.

Mason, who has had to overcome serious injuries to get back playing, was in terrific form and he helped to keep the score respectable as the Academy ran riot.

Mason had already been called upon to save twice before the Hunters came close to stealing the lead, although Jamie Mackie's effort was saved by Martin Horsell.

After laying siege to the Berkeley goal, the Academy took the lead after 39 minutes, Charlie Novoth touching home after Mario Mateus' shot had hit the post.

The second goal came on the hour move after some clever passing down the right split the Hunters defence and Jordan Lawrence slotted home.

Mason made three outstanding saves in succession to deny the Academy a third, but the respite was brief as Tauren Williams struck home a third in added time.

Frampton United are having no problems adapting to life in the County League following promotion and they chalked up a sixth win of the season, with a superb 3-1 victory at Henbury.

Former Bishop's Cleeve striker Steve Jackson gave the visitors the lead in the 20th minute, heading home from a corner.

Zak Tyers took advantage of a slip in the home defence to add the second five minutes before the break.

Aaron Anglin netted from the penalty spot to give the hosts some hope midway through the second half, before a late goal Frazer Wilson free-kick sealed the points for Frampton.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters