Login Register

Honours even as Cirencester Town draw with Cinderford Town

By Sportsnews  |  Posted: January 13, 2013

Cinderford's Warren Archer and Cirencester's Joe Shepherd

Comments (0)

Cirencester Town 2
Cinderford Town 2

A typically competitive and at times hard fought Gloucestershire derby ended with the spoils shared between the Centurions and the Foresters.
Both sides created more than enough chances to secure all three points on a cold and windy day at the Corinium Stadium, but on reflection a draw was a fair result.
After a fraught opening,  first blood went to the visiting Foresters on seven minutes.
Despite having the chance to clear the ball, the Cirencester defence dallied and only half cleared to the waiting Lewis Sommers who hammered home a fine volley giving Glyn Garner no chance.
The hosts roared back and Sam Packer was furious to see his penalty claims waved away after he appeared to be fouled by Cinderford keeper Alex Harris.
Sommers missed out on giving the Foresters a two-goal lead, as after shrugging off his marker the big Welsh striker fired a tame shot straight at Garner.
And Cirencester made the Cinderford number nine pay for his profligacy shortly before the interval by levelling the scores.
Sam Packer lined up a shot from distance and despite appearing to be heading well wide of Harris' goal, fortune favoured the hosts.
An inadvertent deflection off a Foresters' defender, re-directed the ball goalwards, and despite Harris adjusting well to save, a delighted Sam Collier was on hand to level the scores.
Cinderford carved out the first chance of the second half, with former Centurion Lee Smith forcing Garner into action from a Matt Barnes cross.
But it was Smith's former club that took the lead seven minutes into the half.
Packer and Collier once again combined to great effect for the hosts, with the former's pass setting up the latter to fire past Harris for his second of the afternoon.
Roused by the goal the Centurions had a chance to extend their lead moments later, but Cinderford defender Greg Lewis scrambled back to head Ben Wells' goalbound cross over the bar.
And with their next attack of note, the Foresters levelled the scores.
Racing on to a long ball that caught the Cirencester defensive line square, Sommers beat the onrushing Garner to the ball and rolled the ball home.
The big striker then lined up a hat-trick attempt, but his diving header from a Barnes cross was deflected away for a corner.
The ever-elusive Barnes twice  set up Dale Evans to fire at goal,  but the midfielder – who had bagged five goals in the previous two games  –  was unable to convert the chances.
Harris denied Collier and the Cirencester striker also headed over from Wells free kick.
And the Cirencester number nine wasted the best chance to secure his treble and three-points for the hosts, when he miss-kicked when put through on goal by another Packer pass.
Cirencester Town: G Garner, A Bennett, E Dunton, R Allaway capt, L Henry, G Washbourne, B Wells, J Shepherd, S Collier, S Packer, J Mortimer-Jones, Subs not used S Griffin, B Hooper, J Smith and D Roberts.
Cinderford Town: A Harris, W Archer capt, M Smith, G Lewis, A Lewis, J Emery (J Cann 78m), M Barnes, D Bird, D Evans, L Sommers (S O'Sullivan 78m), L Smith (A Malcolm 84m) Subs not used A Evans, and D Harrison.
Referee: A Bayliss
Attendance: 121

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters