Login Register

Greater Manchester Police arrest four Stroud men after death of Nick Bonnie

By The Citizen  |  Posted: December 05, 2013

tragic loss:    Nick Bonnie with his girlfriend Leah.

tragic loss: Nick Bonnie with his girlfriend Leah.

FOUR men believed to be from the Stroud area have been arrested by police investigating the death of Nick Bonnie.

Nick, 30, died in September after taking a suspected bad batch of ecstasy on a lads' weekend away in Manchester, leaving his loved ones devastated.

Greater Manchester Police are investigating the death and confirmed yesterday that four men were arrested, questioned and released on bail.

Three of them are aged 29 and another is 30, and they were arrested by police investigating alleged drugs supply and perverting the course of justice.

Related content

Nick, from Stroud, who worked for the Prince's Trust and grew up in King's Stanley, collapsed at the Warehouse Project, in Trafford. It's the UK's largest nightclub, and has tightened security since his death when 15 other clubbers fell ill as well.

The club has installed drugs amnesty boxes and some of the 100 door staff have sniffer dogs and undercover security workers roam the club.

After his death, his mum Pauline, who works for addiction treatment charity the Nelson Trust in Stroud, and dad Andy, bravely stepped forward to warn others of the dangers of taking illegal drugs.

They said Nick was not a drug taker and had made one fatal mistake.

In a prepared statement, Greater Manchester Police confirmed the arrests.

"Four people have been arrested following the death of Nick Bonnie," it read.

"The four men aged 29, 29, 29 and 30 were interviewed regarding perverting the course of justice and drugs supply.

"All four are from the Gloucestershire area and have been bailed until December 19, 2013.

"On Saturday, September 28, 2013, police were called to Manchester Royal Infirmary following the death of a 30-year-old man.

"Nick Bonnie collapsed after attending the Warehouse Project, Trafford."

Nick's funeral was held at Gloucester Cathedral, which was packed with mourners.

An inquest into his death has been opened and adjourned.