Login Register
 °

Gloucestershire County Council dumps care home after rapes - but spends £300k on another with same directors

By The Citizen  |  Posted: February 11, 2014

A CARE home where a worker raped three vulnerable women was dumped by social services - but its directors have another firm which earns almost a third of a million pounds a year for running a residential home for the elderly.

After Colin Stokes admitted raping the women Gloucestershire County Council said it had terminated the contract with the provider, which cannot be identified for legal reasons.

But the Gloucester Citizen can reveal that the directors of the company which employed Stokes also run another business which has an annual contract with the council worth £328,000 a year for elderly residential care.

The council insists this firm is separate and provides the service it expects.

One of Stokes’ former colleagues told the Gloucester Citizen he should never have been given a job at the care home where he raped three women as he was unqualified, lazy, could not read or write, and couldn’t use a computer.

When the residential home for the elderly was checked last year by the Care Quality Commission, it was meeting the required standards. However the CQC is in the process of doing another check.

A county council spokesman confirmed it does use a care home run by the same directors as the one where Stokes worked. None can be named for legal reasons.

“The directors of the provider in question are also the directors of a second company, which operates a residential care home for the elderly,” said a county council spokesman. “Our checks show this service is providing the quality we’d expect.”

At Gloucester Crown Court last month, Stokes, 47, of St George’s Road, Dursley was told by Judge Jamie Tabor QC that he would be jailed for “a very considerable time” after admitting raping three women.

He denied a second rape on a woman and also a sexual assault on a fourth woman. Those pleas were accepted by the prosecution.

He will be sentenced on March 12.

A statement on the CQC website says: “We have received information that has led us to carry out an inspection. We will publish a report when our check is complete.”

One of the directors of the firm which employed Stokes and also the company which runs the residential home for the elderly, told the Gloucester Citizen: “I do not want to make a comment.”

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES