Login Register

Gloucester boxer Danny Carter's brave show against Andy Keates at GL1

By The Citizen  |  Posted: April 27, 2014

Danny Carter v Andy Keates. Picture: Naomi Youd

Comments (1)

Gloucester’s courageous Danny Carter put up a tremendous challenge for the vacant British Masters Silver light welterweight title against Andy Keates at the GL1 Centre on Saturday night but was ultimately pulled out of the fight in round seven by trainer Jon Pitman in the seventh round.

The well-supported Carter got off to a dream start in the opening session of the ten-round bout when he caught Keates with a picture-perfect left hook which landed the Stoke fighter on the seat of his pants.

But as Danny sensed the title was close and steamed in looking for a knockout finish, Keates exploited the gaps in the defence of the Gloucester fighter and was able to catch the shorter Carter with stunning salvos of punches. The pace was frantic and both fighters were exchanging vicious barrages of leather.

The previously-unbeaten Carter’s bravery was unquestionable in the following rounds. He was being hit and hurt often by hard and clean punches but he refused to call off his own attack. His hooks were too wide and time and again Keates’ efforts were landing first.

By the fourth round, even though Danny’s face was a mask of crimson red and his legs were beginning to fail him, he tried desperately to turn the fight in his favour by loading up big hooks around Keates’ guard.

Amazingly, Danny took the sixth round through sheer heart and determination but it was to be his last hurrah. A left hook at the body in the next round floored Carter and although he had the pride of beating the count, trainer Jon Pitman rightly and compassionately threw the towel in.

Despite suffering his first career defeat after five straight wins, Danny can take comfort in a monumentally brave performance in a classic fight that will live long in the memory.

Todd Roberts, now billed out of Cheltenham, made a winning return to the ring on the under card when he outpointed Tamworth’s Matt Seawright over four rounds.

Todd, who had been out of action for 11 months and changed his trainers several times, was made to work hard by the tricky and awkward Seawright and also had to contend with a cut left eye. But Roberts remained calm and boxed well to receive a 40-37 point win on the scorecard of scoring referee Martin Williams.

“It is great to be back and a massive weight off my shoulders. Seawright made me work for the win and he knows all the tricks of an old pro.”

Gloucestershire’s Wayne Ingram and Mike Biggs had both been scheduled to appear on the card but their respective fights were cancelled.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • claribelMazur  |  April 27 2014, 11:45PM

    my neighbor's step-mother makes *87 every hour on the internet . She has been fired for 8 months but last month her income was *15542 just working on the internet for a few hours. have a peek at this web-site ➨➨➨➨➨➨➨ http://tinyurl.com/mbuppe3