DEAN RICHARDS has clarified his comments about being approached to become Gloucester director of rugby.
The former England number eight had been linked with the role at Kingsholm and during a fans forum on Tuesday claimed to have received a phone call regarding the potential position.
Gloucester vehemently denied any contact had been made with the Newcastle Falcons boss and it is understood Nigel Davies has the backing of the Cherry and White board despite a disappointing season.
Now Richards has revealed he received the call from an agent on a hypothetic basis.
He said: “I had a phone call from somebody, an agent, it wasn’t anybody from Gloucester at all, and they asked me a question about 'what if' and I said 'not interested whatsoever'.
“Out of all of this there were no certainties, no decisions and I feel really sorry for Nigel because the next day I had a text from somebody saying ‘I’ve heard you’re going there’ and the next week it was in a paper.
“It’s disgraceful the way it’s come out and the way it’s been dealt with by other people. It should never have been brought up.
“I thought I nipped any rumours in the bud the other night.”
Davies has one more season remaining on his contract in the West Country and will next year possess a squad which is truly his own.
Twenty-five players were set to come out of contract at the end of the current campaign and while Davies has retained the majority of his stars, he has also secured the services of international quartet John Afoa, Richard Hibbard, Mariano Galarza and Greig Laidlaw.