Login Register

Gloucester Park sex attack teenager 'could have been stopped'

By The Citizen  |  Posted: March 27, 2014

The scene of the crime last summer

A TEENAGER’S 'dreadful' sex attack on a young woman walking through a park could have been prevented if his family's fears about his mental state had been heeded, a court heard.

The 17-year-old boy's mother and grandmother had been constantly trying to alert the authorities to the danger he posed, Gloucester crown court was told.

Just 45 minutes before he attacked and tried to rape his 19-year-old victim in Gloucester Park his mum and gran had told police he was out in breach of an electronically tagged home curfew, the court heard.

Sentencing the youth to be detained in a psychiatric hospital under the Mental Health Act Judge William Hart said his family had behaved in an 'exemplary' way in trying to raise awareness of the danger he posed.

The judge made a restriction order which means the boy can only be released from hospital on the authority of the Home Secretary - and can be recalled at any time,

The youth, from Coleford, admitted charges of attempted rape and assault causing actual bodily harm on June 12 last year.

The court heard that he told police a friend he was with in the park had instructed him to 'hurt and rape the next person he saw.'

He hit the woman over the head with a bottle and then held a pair of scissors to her throat as he tried to rape her.

In spite of her ordeal, the woman had managed to use her phone to ring her best friend and then kept shouting to alert her to what was going on.

Her call led to police being called to the park and the youth fleeing.

The victim suffered significant injuries' to her head, arms and legs in the attack.

In a victim impact statement she said: “I used to be fine walking around at night now I wouldn't walk to my friend's house along the same route even in the day."

Judge Hart said: “You inflicted upon this wholly innocent young woman brutality, the memory of which will live with her forever."

Read more from Gloucester Citizen