Login Register

Gloucester City's season ends in defeat as Guiseley secure play-off spot

By The Citizen  |  Posted: April 27, 2014

Comments (0)



GLOUCESTER City’s fifth season of Skrill North football ended in defeat at Guiseley, who confirmed a play-off place after battling back to seal a win.

Despite City taking an early lead through Billy Jones’ long-range effort, Guiseley rallied heading into the break with two goals from hot-shot striker Adam Boyes.

With ten minutes remaining substitute Michael Potts beat the offside trap to put the contest out of reach.

Tim Harris’ men stunned Nethermoor Park in the third minute after a wonderful low-free kick from Jones rifled into the bottom corner, silencing a large crowd.

It could have been two shortly after with Adam Mann breaking through a gap in the Guiseley defence, but his effort was shot straight at Steven Drench.

The contest opened up with Boyes blasting into the side-netting to signal a warning for the City defence.

A second Tigers free-kick tested Drench, this time Lewis Hogg forcing a smart save from the Guiseley keeper.

The Nethermoor outfit turned up a gear with Oli Johnson finding his way through the Tigers backline, but goalkeeper Mike Green pulled off a terrific save.

The Tigers had to endure two early injuries with both Hogg and Will Morford limping off in the opening 20 minutes.

The City keeper stood firm again thwarting Boyes excellently from six yards out, before denying Johnson again for a third brilliant save in five minutes.

Harris’ side were aggrieved with Nat Jarvis’ finish being disallowed for a push by Mann in the build-up, but the striker was denied a second goal for the club.

The comeback began in earnest on the half hour with Boyes finding space behind Matt Coupe and Jack Harris and he coolly slotted home into the bottom corner.

The lethal striker then struck the crossbar, as the wind was thoroughly in the Lion’s sails.

Johnson and Boyes continued to cause trouble up top, but Matt Groves could have easily restored City’s lead if it hadn’t have been for a brilliant Drench save from the winger’s half-volley.

However, Guiseley took the lead just before the break as Green parried Wayne Brooksby’s shot into the path of Boyes who tapped home the rebound.

Gavin Rothery looked to increase the Yorkshire side’s lead with two efforts that both went well over.

With the scoreline from Guiseley’s play-off rivals Boston filtering through, the home side seemed to relax and allowed the Tigers more of the ball.

Only a heroic goal-line sliding clearance stopped City equalising after Ed Williams had played a sumptuous ball to Mann who’s clipped finish beat Drench but didn’t cross the line.

The Tigers began to play possession football but couldn’t convert a large period with the ball to a meaningful chance in front of goal.

Guiseley confirmed the victory ten minutes from time after Potts beat the offside trap, took the ball around Green and tucked the ball away.

Guiseley: S. Drench, A. Holdsworth, B.Parker, D. Hall, D. Ellis, J. Lawlor, W. Brooksby, D. Boshell, A. Boyes (K. Holsgrove 59), O. Johnson (M. Potts 70), G. Rothery

Subs not used: R. Meynell, R. Williams, S. Dickinson

Gloucester City: M. Green, M. Green, B. Jones, M. Coupe, J. Harris, T. Webb, L. Hogg (M. Giglio 17), M. Groves (E. Williams 65), A. Mann, W. Morford (N. Jarvis 20), J. Gosling

Subs not used: R. Winters, M. Rose

Attendance: 748

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters