Login Register

Is the Forest Green game going to go ahead tonight? SNOW chance!

By The Citizen  |  Posted: January 22, 2013

Comments (0)

DENIED home comforts since Boxing Day, Forest Green's January plans have again been disrupted by the freezing weather.

Rovers had been due to host Hereford United tonight, but a frozen pitch and treacherous conditions in and around the New Lawn have forced a third straight home postponement.

The call-off will be hugely frustrating to the players after Saturday's 2-1 defeat at Stockport County, a result described as 'cruel' by manager Dave Hockaday.

And it means his side will play six straight away games this month, with a trip to Lincoln City this Saturday followed by Woking at the Kingfield Stadium next Tuesday.

A club spokesman said: "Snow and ice around the stadium and concerns over the safety of travel for home and visiting fans mean Rovers will not get an early opportunity to bounce back from Saturday's defeat.

"The inspection was originally set to take place at 3.30pm yesterday afternoon but was brought further forward to give fans as much notice as possible."

On the plus side for Hockaday, Rovers striker Reece Styche will now be able to rest a nagging hamstring problem.

Styche came off the bench at Stockport to mark his 100th league appearance for Rovers with a brilliant goal – his seventh of the season in all competitions.

Despite managing only nine starts this term, the former Chesetown striker is regarded as a key player by his boss.

"Reece had a tight hamstring (on Saturday) but he gave us an energy when we got him on there," said Hockaday.

"He gave us a little bit more devilment and put the ball in the net from our hardest chance of the game.

"It was good for his confidence and we're working hard with him.

"He is going to play a massive part in the rest of the season and beyond."

Snow has also accounted for Gloucester City's Blue Square Bet North fixture at Brackley Town.

The pitch at St James Park was subject to a brief inspection yesterday afternoon and was immediately deemed unfit for play, the game will now be played on Tuesday, February 5.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters