Login Register

Football: County league round-up

By The Citizen  |  Posted: January 13, 2014

Comments (0)

GALA Wilton moved to within two points of Gloucestershire County League leaders Longlevens after a convincing 3-0 home victory against Ellwood.

The Gloucester side have played two more games than their city rivals who were without a game, but the win moves Gala five points clear of Ellwood, who are third.

The hosts started brightly and took the lead within five minutes as Liam Halliday received Brett James’ pass and hammered into the net from the edge of the box.

It was 2-0 before the end of the first 10 minutes as a long ball bisected the home defence and Craig Harris raced through to score.

Ryan Harris went close to adding a third before the break, but his strong run and shot brought a fine save, while Harris headed wide and Dave Wilkinson saw his effort cleared off the line.

Wilkinson was later sent off for two bookings but that didn’t stop 10-man Gala from completing their convincing win courtesy of a Lee Allen penalty late in the game.

At the other end of the table, Berkeley Town remain rooted to the bottom of the table and are seven points adrfit at the bottom after a 2-0 loss at King’s Stanley.

Stanley made a flying start to the game and took the lead inside the first minute as Tony Oakley broke down the flank and squared for Liam Gale to run through and score.

The Hunters created a couple of chances to equalise but errant finishing meant that Stanley kept their slender advantage.

Jake Davies missed a glorious chance to make it 2-0 before Gale raced clear of the defence, rounded the keeper and slotted home.

The hosts dominated the second half and Gale missed a glorious chance to complete his hat-trick, but the score remained 2-0 to Stanley.

Frampton United moved up to sixth spot and leapt ahead of their opponents after a terrific 3-2 win at Patchway Town.

Chris Bulley’s curling shot put the visitors into the lead on 25 minutes but James Stephens levelled the scores five minutes later.

Former Bishop’s Cleeve and Hardwicke striker Steve Jackson fired Frampton into the lead for the second time just before the break.

Chris Fower then made the game safe for Frampton in the second half, before Ash Wells netted what looked to be a consolation goal for Patchway five minutes from time.

Frampton held on to the lead despite Wells flashing a last-minute header across goal with the goalkeeper beaten.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters