Login Register

Fine margins cost Gloucester City at Solihull Moors

By The Citizen  |  Posted: March 02, 2014

Comments (0)

THEY say that when you are struggling near the foot of the table, things just don’t go your way. And that was certainly the case at the Autotech Stadium where Gloucester’s miserable run of results continued – just one win in ten Skrill Conference North games.

The Tigers fell behind to a bizarre own goal inside two minutes and after drawing level, thought they had nosed ahead only for the officials to deem that a Jack Harris header had not crossed the line. The travelling City fans behind the goal thought differently.

A second goal from the home side 15 minutes from the end then knocked the fight out of a Gloucester side who had new manager Tim Harris watching from the directors box.

Solihull’s freakish opener came from a second minute free-kick. Awarded following a needless foul by Marcus Giglio, the defender then compounded his error by getting his head to Ryan Beswick’s kick, sending the ball looping high over the head of his keeper Stuart Moore.

There was nearly a second for the home side when Junior English fired in a low shot which Moore did well to palm around the foot of his post.

The visitors had offered little until Nat Jarvis latched on to a Charlie Griffin header on 15 minutes only to be denied by the long legs of defender Exodus Geohaghon.

But from the resulting corner, Harris rose to head the Tigers level.

There was little else to cheer in the half although Moore was called on again just before the interval when he had to push a 20-yard Jay Denny drive over the bar.

All that changed though in the second period with both sides pressing for the win.

Ten minutes in and another Griffin-Jarvis combination resulted in another vital challenge from Geohaghon while English managed to put an effort over the target at the other end from six yards.

Harris thought he had scored his second on the hour with another header from another Jordan Goddard corner but Richard Taundry appeared to do enough to stop it crossing the line.

The outstanding Geohaghon halted Griffin in his tracks when the veteran striker looked certain to score while there was a simple chance for Moors substitute Omar Bogle to score but managed to skew his close-range header wide… for a throw-in.

With 15 minutes remaining, Solihull netted the winner to keep their play-off hopes on track.

Alex Dean’s cross from the right picked out Beswick and he managed to loop his header over Moore and into the top right-hand corner.

Stand-in manager Matt Rose’s final offering was to send on strike pair Connor Waldon and Joe Parker from the bench for the final stages but there was to be no way back.

Solihull Moors: J Singh, Dean, J Gough, J Denny (M Blackwood 70), R Elvins, E Geohaghon, J English, R Taundry, D Knights (O Bogle 60), R Beswick, D Angus. Subs (not used): M Nottingham, R Fleet, D Acton.

Gloucester City: S Moore, MF Green, M Giglio, M Coupe, J Harris, J Goddard, L Hogg, D Mullings, N Jarvis (J Parker 85), C Griffin (C Waldon 78), M Groves (A Mann 62). Subs (not used): MJ Green, R Winters.

Referee: R Johnson

Attendance: 433

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters