Login Register

Dog gets stuck in Longlevens gate following fireworks fright

By EchoMichael  |  Posted: November 04, 2012

Comments (0)

A DOG had to be rescued by firefighters after getting stuck in a gate following a fright from fireworks.

 

The Border Collie became stuck in an iron gate in Sandstar Close, Longlevens, at around 5pm yesterday.

 

Firefighters from Gloucester North station were called to the scene by the dog's owner, and they pulled apart the gate to free the dog.

 

A Gloucestershire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "The firefighters released the Border Collie dog from the iron gate using spreaders.

 

"The dog was safely returned to its owner uninjured following its ordeal."

 

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • Daytona  |  November 07 2012, 7:06PM

    It's a joke. "The law says you can't set off or throw fireworks (including sparklers) in the street or other public places. You can't usually set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am. The exceptions are: Bonfire Night - the cut off is midnight New Year's Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year - the cut off is 1am You can be fined up to £5,000 and/or imprisoned for 3 months for buying or using fireworks illegally. You could get an on-the-spot fine of £80." https://http://tinyurl.com/c2rg7ve Parliament, voted in by the public, lays down the law, then the police choose not to enforce it.

    Rate   2
    Report
  • bonzaharris1  |  November 04 2012, 8:27PM

    Spindles, yeah I would go along with that, Lets face it, its not just november the 5th, but new year and any other event you can shake a stick at that fireworks get let off. Failing that yes, ban the sale to the public, and just have organised events. That way it would perhaps stop the abuse of fireworks by bored teenagers. Where my Daughter lives, teenagers have been letting off fireworks on the green tonight, that along with randoms ones being let off. You would think that the nanny state would have stopped the public buying them by now, health and safety and all that.

    Rate   4
    Report
  • spindles12  |  November 04 2012, 7:37PM

    Better still bonza, why not BAN FIREWORKS! I welcome the day when there are no more fireworks let off, especially the ones with bangs that seem to get louder and louder every year. IF there has to be fireworks then why not just have ones that don't go bang because not only are pets frightened by the loud noises but think of all the wildlife that is disturbed as well as some young children and elderly people. In this day and age, when they're always banging on about pollution from cars etc. and global warming why are countries all over the world letting off fireworks and having huge bonfires, thereby adding to the pollution? Isn't it about time that we called a halt to the ritual burning of effigies and random use of fireworks? Perhaps fireworks, if they aren't banned, should be restricted to only being sold to organisers of displays, rather than sold to any Tom, Dick or Harry who wants to start letting them off many days before and sometimes weeks after November 5th? It's a year since that terrible accident on the M5 that killed and injured so many people, almost certainly caused by the smoke from a firework night bonfire and for which the organiser has been charged with manslaughter. I am sure the relatives of those seven people who died and the 51 who were injured won't want to be hearing fireworks going off as a reminder of their loss.

    Rate   7
    Report
  • bonzaharris1  |  November 04 2012, 6:15PM

    Better still, perhaps if people stopped letting off fireworks for days before and days after november the 5th, there would be less petrified pets. Why should they be kept locked up indoors terrified for days on end, some having to be given tranquillisers prescribed by vets to calm them down, because of selfish idiots. Either let them off on the nearest weekend, or on the day. Having to put up with endless nights of fireworks being let off is unnecessary, and plain selfish. Its not just pets who don't to hear the constant racket, many others don't either.

    Rate   6
    Report
  • TimMessanger  |  November 04 2012, 10:42AM

    Note to people with iron gates - don't call the fire brigade use a car jack as improvised "spreaders" yourself and save the taxpayer the expense and possible injuries / loss of life. Just imagine the 999 operator - "Sorry Mr Smith we can't get to you for halve an hour because Scamp has his head stuck in a gate and Tiddles is stuck up a tree, you do have insurance to rebuild your house and replace all the contents don't you? What was that you've has to stop your insurance payments because you had to apply for your own job at the council due to restructuring and downsizing. I'm so sorry but poor Tiddles has been up the tree for the last 3 hours and the R5PC4 bloke is such a girl he won't use a ladder and the car owner that called us out to release Scamps doesn't know how to use a car jack"

    Rate   -16
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES