Login Register

Dad Spencer Powles killed by forklift – man arrested

By The Citizen  |  Posted: November 21, 2012

MUCH-loved dad Spencer Powles has been killed in an industrial accident at Maisemore.

The 64-year-old died in hospital almost two weeks after being crushed by a telehandler – an industrial-sized forklift. Police and health and safety chiefs have launched an investigation into the death of the Forest of Dean.

The accident happened on October 24 at engineering firm Complete Utilities in Maisemore, where Mr Powles worked as a mason.

He had only recently been transferred to the firm.

Officers from Gloucestershire Constabulary are leading an investigation into what happened and have arrested a 39-year-old Gloucester man on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.

The Health and Safety Executive is also involved.

Mr Powles, of Berry Hill, was a bar steward at the village's rugby club and a well-known figure in the community. He is survived by his partner Kath Watkinson, sons Will, Richard and George and daughter Devina .

Jamie Elsmore, manager of Berry Hill RFC, said: "I can't speak highly enough of him, he was a gentleman.

"We are all absolutely in shock, devastated about it. It was just a completely freak accident and we were keeping everything crossed for him that he could make it. He had a fantastic sense of humour and a really cracking personality. The fact he was bar steward at the club was testament to how well he got on with people, he brought a lot of smiles to everybody."

Spencer fought for life at Frenchay Hospital, but succumbed over the weekend of November 3 and 4.

Complete Utilities managing director Steve Chaplin said: "Our thoughts and condolences are with his friends and family."

A statement from Gloucestershire Police said: "A man was arrested on Thursday, November 15, in relation to an incident being investigated by Gloucestershire Constabulary and the Health and Safety Executive.

"The 39-year-old from Gloucester was arrested on suspicion of perverting the course of justice and has been bailed to attend Cheltenham Police Station on December 18, pending further inquiries."

Read more from Gloucester Citizen