Login Register

Codlin makes it five in three to sink Tynedale

By The Citizen  |  Posted: February 11, 2013

Comments (0)

Cinderford 33

Tynedale 20

CINDERFORD'S back-to-basics approach has now yielded ten points in their last two National One games following their second home bonus-point win.

That new resolve, which is built on solid defence, will be severely tested when they head to Blackheath on Saturday to face former fly-half Rory Teague.

The Londoners are just two points behind the Foresters in eighth place, but in-form Cinderford wing nev Codlin will be looking to add to his recent try tally.

The former Coney Hill and Lydney man has now scored five tries in his last three matches, including two in this victory over Tynedale.

Despite the Northumberland outfit taking the lead through an unconverted try from captain Hamish Smales after 11 minutes, Cinderford full-back Mike Wilcox scored ten minutes later with fly-half Mark Davies kicking the conversion to give the hosts the lead.

Davies missed a penalty on the half hour but opposite number Mark Outson showed him how it was done to nudge back in front 8-7 four minutes later.

Codlin then grabbed his first try of the afternoon just before the break and Davies' conversion made it 14-8 at half-time.

The home side's rearguard had undergone some heavy pressure but through committed tackling they were holding out and added to their lead on 53 minutes.

It was Codlin again who grabbed it – Davies was unsuccessful with the conversion – before Smales answered right back two minutes later with his second unconverted score for 19-13.

With Codlin going one ahead of team-mate Lloyd Stapleton in the try-scoring stakes, Stapleton levelled it up on the hour with the all-important bonus point five-pointer, with Davies improving it with a conversion.

The gritty North East men could not be shook off and cut within six when smales got his hat-trick on 66 minutes, with replacement George Cullen converting.

But with Tynedale sniffing a bonus of their own with a fourth try, Andy Deacon's men held out and put the game safe with their fifth score with six minutes left.

Tynedale openside Sam Reynolds was sin-binned for killing the ball and the penalty went to the corner with the catch and drive handing England Sevens player Jack Preece a debut try.

Davies rounded off the day with the conversion and moved his team to within four points of fifth place with more home games than away left in the season.

CINDERFORD: M Wilcox; N Codlin, K Done, D Scourfield (Hawley, 82), L Stapleton (Hawkins, 82); M Davies, D Pointon; J Smart (Bundy, 67), T Bozzard (Preece, 59), N Selway; D Critchley, E King; L Allen, W Foden (Langley, 59), G Evans. Replacements: S Hawley, J Preece, C Hawkins, R Langley, C Bundy.

TYNEDALE: C Harris; P Moralee, M Tait (Bramwell, half-time), B Frankland, H Smales (captain); M Outson (Cullen, 54), H Peck; A Harrison, D Cherry, A Westgarth (Dickinson, 52); J Cousin (Dunn, 64), R Miller; M Charters, S Reynolds, S Johnson. Replacements: D Dickinson, D Jupp, R Dunn, G Cullen, T Bramwell.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters