Login Register
 °

Claims baby Cherish "could have been blinded" after eye drop error

By The Citizen  |  Posted: July 18, 2013

  • Claims baby Cherish "could have been blinded" after eye drop error

Comments (9)

LITTLE Cherish Kubiak "could have been blinded" after she was given ear drops instead of eye drops by a pharmacist.

The error happened on Friday at Rowlands Phamacy, in Alvin Street.

Cherish, aged eight months, had conjunctivitis and her mother Chantelle Ali, from Kingsholm popped in to collect eye drops for her. After administering them four or five times, she realised on Saturday they were in fact ear drops.

"I am absolutely mortified to be honest," said Chantelle.

"They could have given me anything, she could have been blinded.

"I totally trusted them, that's why I didn't read the label straight away. I just assumed they would give me the right stuff, as anyone would."

Chantelle knew something wasn't right when her daughter had a mild reaction to the drops.

She said: "When I was using them her eyes were a bit red afterwards and she was trying to rub them.

"When I took the drops back I asked them if I needed to take my daughter to the doctor because I had no idea what effect the ear drops would have.

"They apologised for the mix-up and told me she wouldn't need to see a doctor.

"When I got home I rang their head office and they told me I would need to take her to the doctors.

"I want whoever gave me these drops by mistake struck off."

Meanwhile, Rowlands have confirmed they are aware of the incident and that an investigation is taking place. A spokesman from Rowlands Pharmacy, Gloucester, said: "Due to information governance reasons we are unable to provide specific details of the incident, other than to say we are aware of a patient safety incident from this branch of Rowlands Pharmacy and we are investigating this incident at a senior level.

"We do take all patient safety incidents seriously and monitor and review these on an ongoing basis in order to identify learning in order to update and implement best practice."

Rowlands Pharmacy has branches across the length and breadth of the UK.

In Gloucestershire there are also branches in Bath Road, Cheltenham, Prestbury, Leckhampton, and Bourton.

The Alvin Street branch offers a number of services including weight management, diabetes screening, blood pressure measuring and the delivering of prescriptions.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

9 comments

  • Hadagmaja  |  July 19 2013, 1:02AM

    Fault of both the pharmacist a d the mother. Always read the label - how many times do we hear that?!

    |   1
  • bonzaharris1  |  July 18 2013, 6:10PM

    Another victim of the Nanny State, that actively encourages people not to think for themselves and is forever banning this, and banning that. Years ago people had common sense and thought for themselves. Now we expect people to think for us, and blame everyone else when it all goes wrong. There are faults on both sides, the Pharmacy for giving the wrong medication, and the Mother for not reading the instructions before administering the medication. But the greater fault must lie with the Pharmacy, it is very important that they get medication right. But there is no need for a witch hunt, it is a genuine mistake, and a warning would suffice, no need for someone to lose their job.

    |   11
  • Raccoon  |  July 18 2013, 5:14PM

    It was the fault of both the pharmacist AND the mother. Who the heck gives their children any type of medicine without first reading the instructions?

    |   10
  • TimMessanger  |  July 18 2013, 3:25PM

    EllJay1 - yep that is what they are saying you should always read the instructions with any medication prescribed or not. I would think that the drops where over the counter not prescribed so the pharmacist would not have dispensed them. CH6N2O3 (active ingredient in many ear drops) is an irritant and in strong concentrations can cause blanching (chemical burns) another common ingredient is glycerol only a slight iritant.

    |   3
  • EllJay1  |  July 18 2013, 2:37PM

    So, according to you people, it was the mother's fault, not the dispenser?

    |   -10
  • Douglasknows  |  July 18 2013, 10:51AM

    I cant believe a mother would put something in the eyes of a baby without reading the instructions first. Let this be a lesson for others and I'm only pleased that there was no lasting damage done to her beautiful daughter.

    |   16
  • Hubert1841  |  July 18 2013, 10:43AM

    Uh-oh, look out, Rowlands. Compo claim ahoy!

    |   9
  • Lecorche  |  July 18 2013, 8:43AM

    Everyone should always read the labels and advice notes that come with medications. Some eye drops work well as ear drops when there's an infection. Whether the opposite is true has to be up to the doctor. I we struck off everyone who made a mistake,however,we'd never get anything done.

    |   15
  • spindles12  |  July 18 2013, 8:21AM

    ""I totally trusted them, that's why I didn't read the label straight away. I just assumed they would give me the right stuff, as anyone would." No madam, they wouldn't. Anyone, surely, when giving any medication to a baby would read the information that comes with it to see how much to give, how many times etc. The blame can't all be put on the pharmacy as the mother should have noticed before administering the drops "four or five times" that it was for the ears and not the eyes. As for "striking off" the person who made the mistake, yes MISTAKE as she said herself, that's far too over the top. I hope a lesson has been learnt that you should ALWAYS read the labels and instructions before giving anything to a baby by mouth, ears or eyes.

    |   28

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES