Login Register

Cinderford's late lapse leads to draw against Tynedale

By The Citizen  |  Posted: April 06, 2014

Comments (0)

Tynedale 24

Cinderford 24

Cinderford were left wondering how they had managed to let victory slip away.

They led for 77 minutes in a game they dominated for long periods, but they couldn’t shake off the doughty Northumbrians.

At the end, Tynedale had a kick which would have earned them maximum points, but justice was done when Gavin Beasley’s tricky conversion attempt drifted across the face of the posts.

On this form, it is hard to see Cinderford not pulling away from the danger zone, as they were impressive in the first half, spurred on by the boot of influential fly-half Mike Wilcox, with winger Andy Bulumakau showing searing pace.

Both had a hand in Cinderford’s opening try, with Wilcox instigating a bout of positional kicking,

A Tynedale return fell to Bulumakau wide on his own 10-metre line, and he exploded tpwards the Tyndale line, helped by some poor Tynedale tackling. He reached the Tynedale 22 before feeding centre Jack Adams, who slithered over for a try, converted by Wilcox with just three minutes gone.

Tynedale threatened an immediate response, but a quickly-taken penalty on the edge of the 22 was halted illegally by flanker Will Keenan at the expenses of a yellow card.

Tynedale chose a penalty scrum, but they were unable to make the extra man count thanks to sterling Cinderford defence.

Cinderford not only survived, but prospered, as on 18 minutes, with the Tynedale faithful baying for a forward pass, skipper Adam Balding got the second try, converted by Wilcox via the upright for 14-0.

Tynedale were clearly struggling, hardly able to win a line out and outgunned in the scrum, and on the half hour a rumbling 25-metre forward drive gave Balding his second score.

Wilcox was unable to convert, but Cinderford were looking good at 19-0 up.

Tynedale finally got on the scoresheet on 34 minutes, when New Zealand flanker Dan Temm picked up on the edge of the 22 and managed to power his way over. Beasley converted, but Cinderford led 19-7 at the break

Tynedale narrowed the gap still further three minutes into the second half when a kick out of defence bounced kindly for winger Dan Rundle, who twisted his way over close to the posts. The kick should have been a formality, but Beasley’s effort came back off the post and it remained 19-12.

Back came Cinderford with another well controlled forward drive on 57 minutes, which ended with a try for replacement George Mills, which Wilcox was unable to convert.

Concerted pressure earned a second try for Temm, well converted by Beasley for a 24-19 lead. With 10 minutes left, Cinderford should have sealed it when Tynedale were penalised in front of their own posts, but Wilcox put his effort the wrong side of the post.

It still seemed Cinderford had done enough until two minutes into stoppage time when scrum-half Greg Illingworth slid over for a try.

Beasley’s kick appeared to be going over but it drifted wide and the sides claimed three points each.

TYNEDALE: Craig Willis: Dan Rundle, Jack Harrison, Ben Frankland Hamish Smales; Gavinn Beasley, Greg Illingworth; Sam White, Stehen Ridley, Mark Irving; Glen Young, Graeme Dunn; Dan Temm Matty Charters, Stuart Johnson, Bench: Joe Anderson, Louis Frankland, Jonny Cousin Nick Cairns, Matty Outson.

CINDERFORD: Stefan Hawley; Andy Bulumakau, Jack Adams Robbie Winchle Sam Baker; Mike Wilcox, Danny Pointon; Jos Smart, Tom Bozzaard, Thomas Heard; Ed King, Tom Hicks; Rogwe Birkin, Will Keenan, Adam Balding; Bench: Ryan Charles,Elliott Booley, Alex Frame, Clive Stuart-Smith, George Mills.

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters