Login Register

Cinderford go out on a high with crushing victory over Wharfedale

By lauracfell  |  Posted: May 03, 2014

Comments (0)



UNSHACKLED from the pressure of National One relegation, Cinderford ran riot in their final game of the season against Wharfedale at Dockham Road.

Despite the threat of a coaching overhaul hanging over director Andy Deacon’s head, Cinderford steamrollered over the north Yorkshire outfit with nine tries to ensure they finished the season with a bonus-point win and in 11th place in the league.

A blistering performance both in the set-piece and in the back line saw Cinderford score four tries in just 30 minutes in the first half.

From an abrasive scrum which left WHarfedale reeling, fly-half Mark Davies passed out to Nev Codlin who inched his way into the 22. Codlin unleashed Jack Adams, who let Mike Wilcox in to dart past last-ditch tackles and squirrel over.

Davies converted and Cinderford were up after a fantastic start.

The lead was extended as the back line pierced through a lethargic Wharfedale once again. Centre Robbie Winchle’s dummy sent the visitors the wrong way, before Adams once again offloaded to Wilcox.

The full-back could have sneaked over but unleashed Sam Baker for a try. Davies converted from in front of the posts and Cinderford’s tails were up.

They capitalised from a bulldozing run from flanker George Mills in the 11th minute, who offloaded to Adams just before the line for the centre’s 11th try this season, but Davies conversion sliced wide.

19 points down, Wharfedale had to react. But their attacking charges were squandered by poor handling or ill-discipline and they failed to get off the mark.

Cinderford secured the try-scoring bonus point in the 24th minute and they were looking likely to run riot.

Superb work in the line-out from Mills secured possession and another barraging run from in-form Adams and offload from Wilcox, let Codlin over in the corner.

Wharfedale had shaken off the end-of-term feeling that had blighted the first quarter, while Cinderford lost some of the early composure which had seen them finish so clinically.

After a scything run from Wharfedale centre Thomas Davidson, loose head prop Matthew Beesley crossed the whitewash, converted by Thomas Barrett.

Cinderford resolutely defended Wharfedale’s charges for the remainder of the first half, and the score remained 26-7 at the break.

The second half began at the same frenetic pace as the first did.

Nev Codlin was over in the corner after a burst down the wing in the 44th minute, and Davies converted.

But Davies sliced a clearance kick straight to Wharfedale full-back Robert Davidson and the Foresters allowed scrum-half Phillip Woodhead to streak down the blindside for a converted try.

But two tries in quick succession put Cinderford streets ahead. Adams secured his second with a squirming run to the line before Baker’s run a minute later allowed Wilcox to score for a 45-14 lead.

Cinderford then took the foot off the gas, and allowed their rivals to score twice.

A penalty try was awarded in the 61st minute after Cinderford pulled down the driving maul inching toward the line, and after captain and number eight Adam Balding was binned, their next driving effort crashed over with Christopher Street grounding the ball.

Scrappy handling from both sides squandered further chances to score tries. But Codlin’s run into the 22 with Winchle outside of him was never in doubt - the centre crashed over, but Davies’ conversion just swung wide for a 50-26 lead.

Winchle secured his second and the team’s ninth try with just two minutes remaining, skipping past at least three tackles to crash over.

The win ensured Cinderford finished the season with an almighty bang and two league positions higher.

CINDERFORD: M Wilcox (S Hawley, 55), N Codlin, J Adams, R Winchle, S Baker, M Davies, W Davis (J Smart, 55), T Bozzard, T Heard, L Randall, E King, R Birkin, G Mills ((C McNeil, 51), A Balding


WHARFEDALE: R Davidson, W Davidson, J Donkin (J Bullough, 51), T Davidson (R Rekis, 55), J Bruce, T Barrett, P Woodhead, M Beesley, L Cole, A Howard, R Brown, R Rhodes (C Steel, 40), J Ramshaw (I Larkin, 64), A Myers (T Whyte, 69), A Powell


REFEREE: Fergus Kirby

STAR MAN: Robbie Winchle

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters