Login Register

Cinderford United are too strong for Drybrook in cup final

By The Citizen  |  Posted: May 04, 2014

Comments (0)

Cinderford United 27 Drybrook 5

CINDERFORD lifted the Forest Of Dean Combination Cup following a five-tries-to-one victory at Dockham Road.

The winning margin could have been larger if any of the Foresters' kickers had found their range following three missed conversions and a penalty.

Centre Al Bryan was the pick of the bunch with two scores to his name as the match finished early due to an injury to a Drybrook player.

The game already had to be halted just two minutes into the second period, as Drybrook’s Harry Gooderham had to leave the field on a stretcher after a high tackle.

The visitors had the first sight of goal after just three minutes when they won a penalty in front of the posts but the fly-half put it wide following good pressure in Cinderford's 22, The home men had their first chance to trouble the scorers on 10 minutes with a long 40-metre penalty.

But the home team lost kicker Tom Law with a broken wrist after just eight minutes, which meant scrum-half Reece Boughton, who is dual registered with Gloucester, took on kicking duties.

Boughton missed his first shot at the posts from long range.

But Bryan stole down the blind side to dot down in the corner after 16 minutes.

However, Boughton was off target once more, leaving it 5-0 to the home team.

Strong Cinderford defence then dislodged the ball from Drybrook hands on 26 minutes following a series of five-metre scrums.

Boughton was then adjudged to have made a double movement while crossing the line on 39 minutes.

But from the resulting five-metre scrum number eight Loti Molitika peeled off and barged his way over to score the second try on 40 minutes, but Boughton missed the extras again, leaving it 10-0.

Deep into first-half added time Cinderford drove over to score their third try, with Boughton failing to improve once more, making it 15-0 at half-time.

The serious-looking injury to Drybrook's player kicked off the second period, which disrupted the match while the emergency services took care of the player involved.

But normal service resumed on 45 minutes when Bryan got on the end of a simple move to steal in between defenders for his second score and his team's fourth, with Boughton once more off target for 20-0.

Drybrook then lost a player to the sin-bin on 49 minutes and Cinderford took full advantage with a try for replacement Jack Shields on 52 minutes.

A change of kicker had the desired effect as right wing Jack Richards added the extras for 27-0.

Drybrook then kept sending penalties into the corner on the hour and were eventually rewarded for their endeavour on 64 minutes with their only points as Jun Sing Lee stepped inside one tackle and barged over to score an unconverted try.

Cinderford had the chance to improve the winning margin further on 70 minutes with another penalty but Richards failed to split the posts, leaving it 27-5 at the end.

CINDERFORD: A. Frame; J. Richards, S. Hanks, A. Bryan, O. Whiting, T. Law, R. Boughton; J. Brooks, M. Davies, J. Smart; T. Fawkes, M. Reynolds; W. Hodgetts, M. Brown, L. Molitika. Replacements: M. Baldwin, R. Charles, J. Shields, L. Littleton

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters