Login Register

Cheltenham Town video: Robins too strong for brave Yate

By JPEchoRobins  |  Posted: November 02, 2012

  • Cheltenham Town v Yate FC in the FA Cup 01

Comments (0)

Cheltenham Town 3 Yate Town 0

Cheltenham Town safetly negotiated the challenge of non-League Yate Town to book their place in the second round of the FA Cup.

On the biggest day in their history and with nearly 900 travelling fans packed into the Hazlewoods Stand, things started in the worst possible fashion for the visitors.

A low shot from Kaid Mohamed was parried by goalkeeper Josh Dempsey and Tom Warren's attempted clearance cannoned off team mate Scott Thomas and into the net inside three minutes.

Unruffled by the early setback, Yate attacked straight from the restart and Matt Groves' cross was headed against a post by Tom Knighton.

Three minutes later left-back Jake Cox curled a free-kick against the bar via Scott Brown's fingertips and Cheltenham found themselves fortunate not to be 2-1 down.

It was an open and entertaining first half, with Yate committing plenty of players forward, leaving Cheltenham space to exploit.

Lawson D'Ath's long range effort was well saved by Dempsey, who also kept out a Russ Penn drive and a Keith Lowe header inside the first half an hour.

Yate's James Harmer had the ball in the net in the 38th minute, but an offside flag had been raised and Dempsey's heroics continued as he kept out Sam Deering's header from a Billy Jones cross.

D'Ath was taken off at half-time after picking up a knock and Marlon Pack went on.

The second half was more one-sided, with Cheltenham's superior fitness beginning to tell.

Dempsey saved a Sido Jombati header but Brown had to be alert to keep out Groves' curling shot in the 58th minute as Yate refused to lie down.

Pack saw a low shot deflected wide for a corner and Jombati's cross was glanced inches wide by Penn, who had timed his run into the box.

The killer second goal arrived in the 65th minute when Jones' corner was nodded in by Kaid Mohamed for his fourth goal of the campaign, four of which have been with his head.

Jeff Goulding missed a glorious chance to make it 3-0 in the 80th minute, firing a beautiful ball from Jones over the bar from almost on the goal line.

But Zebroski, who had already struck the bar with a shot, calmly slotted in number three in the second minute of time added on to complete th scoring.

Cheltenham knew they had been in a game and Yate played some attractive football, but it was a professional performance from Mark Yates' side and they await tomorrow's second round draw with interest.

Cheltenham Town: S Brown; S Jombati, A Bennett, K Lowe, B Jones; S Deering, R Penn, L D'Ath (M Pack 46); D Duffy (J Goulding 61), S Harrad (C Zebroski 61), K Mohamed. Subs not used: C Roberts, J Hanks, J McGlashan, D Andrew.

Yate Town: J Dempsey; T Warren, E Vahid, S Thomas, J Cox; J Harmer (M Meaker 73), D Wring, H Purnell (A Hiroli 89); M Groves, T Knighton, M Page (M Bryant 89). Subs not used: R Cousins, O Price, I Sarr, L Ancin.

Referee: David Phillips.

Attendance: 3,055 (889 away).

Star Man: Billy Jones.

To relive the action as it unfolded, click below:

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters