Login Register

Campaigners hope new population figures will support fight against controversial housing development in Brockworth

By The Citizen  |  Posted: May 28, 2014

Campaigners hope new population figures will support fight against controversial housing development in Brockworth
Comments (0)

CAMPAIGNERS against a controversial housing development in Brockworth are hoping population figures released tomorrow will support their calls to abandon the plans.

Members of Save Brockworth Green Belt are hoping that future housing projections will be reduced based on population figures from the Office of National Statistics.

Last month Tewkesbury Borough Council made a decision on housing supply as part of the joint core strategy which could see 1,500 homes on green belt land in the area.

Campaigners maintain their concerns that this decision was made before evidence from the Office of National Statistics was submitted. They fear that if the housing supply predictions are not reduced, a planning application will quickly follow.

In a statement on the group’s website, they said: “Evidence from the Office of National Statistics is still awaited and future housing projections may be reduced.

“The revised plan has done little in terms of accommodating the strong views of the public, particularly regarding inaccurate estimation of housing need and opposition to so much loss of Green Belt land.

"They have ignored it and made a token gesture of reducing housing numbers by a mere 3,000 from 33,200 to 30,500.

“The housing allocation for Brockworth has been reduced by 48 from 1,548 to 1,500.

“The joint core strategy plan is based on inaccurate data, lack of evidence and blatant disregard for latest Government policy and public opinion.

“Many councillors questioned the need for so many houses and preferred to wait for current statsistics.”

Outline planning permission is being sought from Tewskesbury Borough council for the Perrybrook development, on land by the A417, identified in the joint core strategy.

More than 1,000 people have signed a petition against it. It has also been opposed by Brockworth Parish Council, Hucclecote Parish Council and Tewkesbury MP Laurence Robertson.

The next stage of the joint core strategy will be a second public consultation in the next few months.

Borough and parish Councillor Judith Perez said: “There is no indication of what the figures will show. There could even be an increase, we just don’t know. But a small lowering won’t have much impact.”

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES