Login Register

Angry Evans 'gutted' over Wood's controversial exit from the FA Cup

By The Citizen  |  Posted: November 16, 2012

Comments (0)

SHORTWOOD United boss John Evans was unhappy as two controversial decisions saw his side bow out of the FA Trophy at Merthyr Town.

The Martyrs could well have been down to ten men by the time Ian Traylor gave his side the lead shortly before the hour mark amid controversy for an apparent hand ball.

The Merthyr winger doubled his side's lead with 12 minutes to go which meant that Tim Haddock's late goal was nothing but a consolation for Evans' men.

But following the final whistle and a 2-1 defeat, Evans was still seething at the harsh decision given against his side.

"I'm absolutely gutted," Evans said. "To have a goal like that given against us, it was the most blatant hand ball.

"Everybody in the ground saw it, apart from the one person that mattered."

Merthyr started quickly with Andrew Thomas flashing an early free-kick inches wide of Tom King's goal.

The Welsh side's flowing football was a pleasure to watch and Wood skipper Ash Thomas and his defensive cohorts had to be at their best to deny the Martyrs an opening goal. With seven minutes to go before the break, the first of the controversial moments occurred as Tim Haddock was hauled back by a Martyrs defender.

Already booked, the referee seemed to be set to show a second yellow card to Jamie Rewbury, despite the foul being committed by Scott Colbourne.

But to the bemusement of everyone in the ground, Thomas was booked, despite not being involved in the incident at all.

If that decision was bizarre then the let-off the Martyrs received when claiming their first goal was even more controversial.

Ian Traylor appeared to handle, but he was allowed to run through and notch his side's first goal of the night, despite vehement Wood protests.

Clearly rattled, Wood were made to pay by Traylor again as he finished a sweeping 78th minute move to all but secure the win.

Haddock's late consolation, driving a low shot into corner brought Wood back into it, but despite late chances for Joey Tustain, they couldn't force extra time.

Wood return to league action tomorrow at home to Bridgwater Town (3pm).

Read more from Gloucester Citizen

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters