ABBA and Ozzy Osbourne wouldn’t appear to have much in common - but according to a survey of listeners they are among the artists whose lyrics British fans most commonly struggle to understand.
Research by Blinkbox, which is part of supermarket giant Tesco, saw 2,000 music fans quizzed on who they found hardest to understand, and which lyrics were most commonly misinterpreted.
With 28 per cent of the vote, the former Black Sabbath lead singer Osbourne was the hardest to understand, with Lady Gaga 24 at per cent.
ABBA hit Dancing Queen topped poll if mistaken lyrics - 22 per cent of listeners believed they had heard ‘See that girl, watch her scream, kicking the dancing queen when it fact it is ‘See that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the dancing queen’.
The top 10 acts whose lyrics are the most difficult to understand:
1. Ozzy Osbourne (28 per cent)
2. Lady Gaga (22 per cent)
3. Shaggy (22 per cent)
4. Sean Paul (14 per cent)
5. Jay Z (14 per cent)
6. Rihanna (14 per cent)
7. Miley Cyrus (13 per cent)
8. Jimi Hendrix (10 per cent)
9. Prince (nine per cent)
10. Bob Dylan (eight per cent)
Top 10 misheard lyrics, and the correct lyrics below:
1. ABBA - Dancing Queen (22 per cent)
‘See that girl, watch her scream, kicking the dancing queen’.
‘See that girl, watch that scene, diggin' the dancing queen’.
2. Queen – We Will Rock You (18 per cent)
‘Kicking your cat all over the place’.
‘Kicking your can all over the place’.
3. Bon Jovi – Living On A Prayer (12 per cent)
‘It doesn't make a difference if we're naked or not’.
‘It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not’.
4. Madonna - Like a Virgin (12 per cent)
‘Like a virgin touched for the thirty-first time’.
‘Like a virgin touched for the very first time.’
5. The Monkees - I'm A Believer (12 per cent)
‘Then I saw her face, now I'm gonna leave her’.
‘Then I saw her face, now I'm a believer’.
6. Johnny Nash - I Can See Clearly Now (11 per cent)
‘I can see clearly now Lorraine has gone’.
‘I can see clearly now, the rain is gone’.
7. Rihanna - We Found Love (11 per cent)
‘What it takes to form a line’.
‘What it takes to come alive’.
8. Jimi Hendrix – Purple Haze (nine per cent)
‘Excuse me while I kiss this guy’.
‘Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky’.
9. Spice Girls – Wannabe (nine per cent)
‘If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get rid of my friends’.
‘If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends’.
10. Starship - We Built This City (eight per cent)
‘We built this city on logs and coal’.
‘We built this city on rock and roll’.