To mark the proliferation of the false widow spider in Gloucestershire we have collated a list of 10 of the weirdest insects in the world:
1. Puss moth caterpillar that has a big gaping hole for a head.. but its real head hides inside! http://www.learnaboutbutterflies.com/Caterpillar%20-%20Cerura%20vinula.htm
2. Longest insect in the world which is 21.5in in length including its legs: Borneo stick insect
3. Praying Mantis that looks like a flower to disguise itself before moving in for the kill.
4. Globe-bearing Treehopper which sports weird balls on its back for an unexplained reason: http://www.americaninsects.net/h/bocydium-globulare.html
5. Lymantrid moth which is bright yellow and can have up to 400 babies at a time: http://www.lepidoptera.dk/pudibund.htm
6. Giant prickly stick insect well known to anyone who has watched Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
7. Dangerous Pipevine Swallowtail Catterpillars eat poisonous plants and retain the toxins in their own body so as not to be eaten themselves: http://www.thefeaturedcreature.com/2013/01/pipevine-swallowtail-caterpillars-look-just-like-red-licorice.html
8. The giant Atlas moth that actually looks like a snake: http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/inverts/atlas_moth.htm
9. The decorative Spiny Flower Mantis that becomes more of a cannibal as it gets older.
10. When a wasp meets a scorpion, what do you get? A Scorpionfly ! This weird creature sports a ‘stinger tail’ that is actually its genitals: http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/species/scorpion-fly